Topic: 1937 Flathead fuel pump rod concerns

BIRUDY    -- 08-01-2022 @ 7:38 AM
  1937 stock 21 bolt flathead head with factory aluminum intake.
I am concerned about how much play is good or bad or acceptable between the fuel pump actuator rod and the bushing it is held in position as it move up and down doing it job.
The bushing looks to be in good shape.
The top of the rod when in place can be wiggled back and forth.. around 3/16" movement/play..
I have a spare flat head and checked the play on it as well and it is similar. I do not know the mileage on either engine.
I will try and upload some pictures of the bushing , rod and a short video indicating the movement.
Changing the bushing looks like quite a chore.
The push rod looks to be in good shape and no noticeable ware on the shaft where it would contact the bushing.
Any advice or experience with this concern would be appreciated
just realized I can not upload the short video of the movement.. will pm to anyone who may want to see to assess.
Thanks Rudy

This message was edited by BIRUDY on 8-1-22 @ 7:42 AM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-02-2022 @ 12:41 PM
  hi
your push rod should be 3/8 by 7 7/8 long for a ALUMINUM INTAKE,
do some measuring to see if you have the correct parts
The part number is 48-9400-B
you might have a after market push rod or 60 hp ?
by the picture of the bushing does not look right, but hard to tell
I would replace the bushing and make sure the pushrod is correct,
you can do this by treading the bushing, using a vacuum, and after flushing it ,
use a slide hammer with the size bolt that you treaded the bushing
hope this HELPS 37Ragtopman

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 8-2-22 @ 1:42 PM

BIRUDY    -- 08-02-2022 @ 4:59 PM
  thx for your information... the rod measurements are correct as in the dimensions you provided.. It is difficult to measure clearance when push rod is in the bushing... but by "eye ball" looks like about 1/64" clearance... will go ahead and order new bushing and compare to one in the engine... other thought was to machine a new rod with closer tolerances... I realize there has to be some gap to allow oil to flow to keep proper pressure... I was told not to expect it to be fit with as close a tolerance as the lifter fits in its housing..
thx again Rudy

TomO    -- 08-02-2022 @ 7:54 PM
  I would leave the bushing alone unless you are having oil pressure problems. The last new bushing that i received (2004) from a vendor was a piece of junk.

Please post your symptoms and someone will give you information to solve the problem.

Tom

BIRUDY    -- 08-03-2022 @ 6:33 AM
  Thanks Tom, I have 2 engines ,a 35 and 37 21 stud... the amount of play and condition of the bushing appear to be similar.
I have never run either engine or heard them run as this car was a barn find.. stored since 1989, and wanted to hedge
my bets before installing the 37 in my 35 3 window.. The 37 engine had been rebuilt years ago and dry fit back together.
It has aluminum heads which are at the machine shop to check their integrity and have them resurfaced as they suffered a little pitting.
will let you know how I make out.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-03-2022 @ 10:04 AM

hi
try SOUTHSIDE OBSOLETE in MINN , for the pushrod and bushing,
Fred has bought out many a FORD DEALER,
should have that bushing NOS
hope this helps 37 Ragtopman

42merc    -- 08-04-2022 @ 7:08 AM
  The push rod bushing, good or bad does not affect the oil pressure on any pre '49 Ford V8 engine.

BIRUDY    -- 08-04-2022 @ 2:20 PM
  Good to know that..

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15841