Topic: hot wire to heater

clswoodworking    -- 07-03-2022 @ 11:48 AM
  Can anyone tell me which terminal the heater gets hooked to on ignition switch "46" ford super deluxe. Thank you Charlie

juergen    -- 07-04-2022 @ 6:09 AM
  The Ford wiring diagrams do not show the heater circuit. But it draws too much power to go through the ignition switch. The cigar lighter is connected to the hot side of the circuit breaker (as is the output from the ammeter). If you want it controlled by the ignition switch, add a relay so little current goes through the ignition switch.

kubes40    -- 07-04-2022 @ 7:01 AM
  On a '40 Ford, the heater power comes from the "cold side" of the ignition resistor. That is, the side that has power ONLY when the ignition switch is in the on position. There was a barrel fuse integral of the supply wire.
I tend to believe your '46 would have been wired in the same fashion.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 7-5-22 @ 9:00 AM

juergen    -- 07-05-2022 @ 6:50 AM
  Mike, That is surprising to me. My daily driver to college in Milwaukee was a 40 Ford. In the cold winters I used the heater/defroster a lot. During this time the heater motor started failing. I traced it to a burned "contact" in the ignition switch (the brass triangular switch). I moved the lead to the cigar attachment which bypasses the ignition switch. No problems thereafter. In addition many used heater switches I pick up at swap meets have lost continuity going through the switch. In taking them apart, it requires cleaning the contacts to return continuity, so I suspect the contacts are not adequate for heavy usage.

But I suppose now a days, these cars are no longer daily drivers and the contacts will last. But I do find it strange that none of the Ford/Lincoln/Mercury wiring diagrams found in the early Ford Service Bulletins indicate where the heater power should be sourced. Where did you find the location?

kubes40    -- 07-05-2022 @ 9:16 AM
  Juergen,

I can only offer a guess as to why this heater wiring was not included in the vehicle's schematic. My guess? As the heater was optional, it wasn't included.

I have found authentic installation instructions for both the hot air and hot water heaters. Neither had a schematic but both described in detail how they were to be wired.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15778