Topic: 1941 Deluxe Horn Button Removal?

wilsonsk    -- 05-05-2022 @ 7:58 AM
  I have a 1941 Ford Tudor Sedan and need to get the steering wheel off to replace the upper bushing. Pushing down and turning either direction doesn't seem to remove it, I don't want to apply too much force. What is the correct way to remove it?

Thanks!

wilsonsk    -- 05-05-2022 @ 11:05 AM
  I got it, it wouldn't push and turn counter clockwise, you can see some previous marring on the button like someone used a hammer and screw driver, I put a rag over it and pushed it in as far as I could and tapped it counter clockwise, would not move, I went clockwise, and it started to move, had to go a lot farther to get to the notches to release it but got there. Now I have a mess under it, the blot holes for the puller are stripped and the nut was cross threaded and beat on basically, threads on the shaft look good, I'll drill and tap the puller bolt holes for 3/8-24.

carcrazy    -- 05-05-2022 @ 12:25 PM
  Tapping the holes for the puller, as you mention, and using a puller is the correct way to get the steering wheel off. There is another way you can get the wheel off without drilling, tapping and using a puller but you have be very careful not to damage the threads on the end of the steering shaft.
Take the nut off of the shaft, turn it upside down and put it back on the shaft part way so that none of the shaft threads are protruding above the nut, place a piece of 1/8" thick steel over the nut and retain it in place with some duct tape, sit in the drivers seat with it moved as far forward as possible so you can place your legs under the wheel to push up on it while hitting on the steel piece with a large hammer. This will usually free the wheel from the shaft with just a couple of blows. If you have someone to help you, they can pull up on the wheel while you pound down on the steel piece to loosen the wheel.

wilsonsk    -- 05-05-2022 @ 3:26 PM
  I’m familiar with that method as well, and the last person that worked on it destroyed the nut, it was on crooked and 1 or 2 threads left so I don’t have anything to protect the threads, what’s the thread size of the steering wheel nut? Does Napa carry them?

carcrazy    -- 05-05-2022 @ 4:14 PM
  The steering wheel nut is a 5/8"-18 thread. Your neighborhood ACE Hardware Store may have a nut that will work in stock.

wilsonsk    -- 05-05-2022 @ 5:09 PM
  Thank you!!!

wilsonsk    -- 05-20-2022 @ 7:34 PM
  Got it off, I drilled and tapped the puller bolt holes for 3/8-18, used a harmonic balancer puller, it took a lot to get it to pop, the threads were already bunged up from a few folks before me trying, the original puller bolt holes were stripped out, the nut was stripped too. I had the puller cranked down til it started to tip and rapped it several times and it finally popped. I’m guessing that’s the first time it’s been off. The steering bushing was just rubber, all there but the shaft moved a lot in it. I didn’t have any luck pulling it out, I pushed it down and put the new one in with a little grease in the bushing. Put a new nut on it, just like new now.

carcrazy    -- 05-20-2022 @ 8:39 PM
  Great to hear of your success!

JayChicago    -- 05-21-2022 @ 9:15 AM
  Yes, thanks for posting a follow-up. We need to see those follow-up posts so we can learn what worked (or didn't work) to solve a problem.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15647