Topic: Generator cutout wires

BRL    -- 01-16-2022 @ 8:58 AM
  Hi Guys:
I have a 37 Phaeton (78-750), all original(mostly). The car runs fine but one of the two wires that comes out of the generator to the cutout unit has lost its insulation and you can see the bare wire...this is bugging me and I want to replace this wire. See attached photos. I have bought what I believe to be a replacement wire (p/n 68-10100) which is as close to the original wire specified by the parts book (p/n 40-10100-A) but I am unsure of how to proceed to replace it. Can someone advise how to replace this wire? Is this something I can do myself?...or is this something that has to be done by a generator rebuilding shop?
Regards,
BRL

TomO    -- 01-16-2022 @ 10:46 AM
  You probably can do it yourself, but you should think about the general condition of your generator.

Is the front bearing good? Are the brushes worn? Is the rear bushing in good shape?

If your generator is in good shape, then go ahead and replace the wire. You will have to lift the springs that put pressure on the brushes and then raise the brushes high enough for the springs to rest along the side of the brush. Disassemble the generator, so you can get at the brush holders and replace the wire.

Tom

MG    -- 01-16-2022 @ 10:47 AM
  Rather than to replace the wire, you could use heat shrink tubing to cover it instead....

carcrazy    -- 01-16-2022 @ 10:51 AM
  You can replace this wire yourself. You will have to remove the generator from the engine before taking the generator apart. Once you have the generator apart, you will see where the bottom end of the cutout wire attaches. Simply remove the screw that attaches this wire inside the generator. Install the new wire to the generator and feed the wire through the rubber grommet up to the cutout. Then reassemble the generator and attach the upper end of the wire to the cutout. Since both ends of this connecting wire are furnished with terminals no soldering is required. Good luck with this repair. Let us know how you made out.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-16-2022 @ 2:23 PM
  HI
I would take the band off and see what condition the brushes are it,
and check the commutor for wear, and access the whole condition of the generator
and while you have the generator belt off spiin the fan and see if you hear any bad bearing"s
it might a good time to have it rebuilt, it is a undertaking if you never done it before,
my 2 cents 37Ragtopman, MAINE

if you want to source it out, to a A Professional, you can contact , CERTIFIED AUTO ELECTRICAL, OHIO
call 440 439 1100 or 6vto12v@gmail.com
they have all the parts, including new field coils
they did some work for me, very nice guys to deal with JEFF or EARL

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 1-17-22 @ 7:04 AM

40 Coupe    -- 01-17-2022 @ 5:29 AM
  The wire to the cut out is red 40-10100, I do not believe 68-10100 is the proper color. The ground wire is black. Third Gen Auto in Tenn. (see the web site) has everything to rebuild including the red wire and maybe the black also. A modern sealed front bearing, new rear bushing, the rubber grommet for the wires, new brushes. You can do it yourself if you have a high heat soldering iron or gun. If the armature is worn the commutator may be machined and undercut. Make sure you have the correct generator with all the proper pieces before rebuilding.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 1-17-22 @ 5:35 AM

BRL    -- 01-17-2022 @ 10:08 AM
  Hi Guys:
Thanks for all the advice. I am rebuilding the carb right now so I will temporarily tape the bare cut-out wire while running the car to make sure the carb is working right when I replace it. Then I will take the generator off and disassemble and look at all the parts you suggest may need attention. I will also see about getting the right color wires. I will post of how it turns out.
Regards,
BRL

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15432