Topic: 37 Phaeton rear fender mystery bracket

BRL    -- 11-20-2021 @ 8:18 AM
  Hi:
I am a new owner of a 1937 Phaeton, all original (I think). While under the car inspecting stuff, I noticed there is a bracket connecting the right rear fender to the body just above the exhaust pipe at the rear bumper. See photo. On the left rear fender, this bracket appears to be missing...the holes are there but no bracket. See photo. Does anyone know the Ford part number of this bracket and hardware? I cannot find or determine what the part number is from my body or chassis parts list books. Anyone have an idea where I can buy this bracket and associated hardware...I desire to keep car OEM.
Regards,
BRL

ford38v8    -- 11-20-2021 @ 9:19 AM
  I believe your bracket to be a means of connecting a mismatched fender. All body parts should be assembled in a trial fit before painting, a practice that is often missed by first time restorers. I wouldn't worry about it, it isn't seen unless climbing under the car, and you'd be surprised at how many well loved, beautiful old Fords are held together with baling wire anyway!

Alan

3w2    -- 11-20-2021 @ 2:04 PM
  With respect, Alan, that strap closing the gap in the lower back panel beneath the bumper bracket on the right side belongs there and is an original '37 Ford part. (I am not referring to the semi-modern aftermarket tail pipe clamp below it.)

I'm away from my '37 chassis parts catalog, but BRL's lower back panel has had extensive repairs on the left side and it is unlikely that an original strap would fit. In any event it is a very simple piece of rolled steel with two holes in it and easily made with ordinary tools.

This message was edited by 3w2 on 11-20-21 @ 7:51 PM

1937sedandelivery    -- 11-20-2021 @ 6:29 PM
  I believe this discussion is about the "strap" that straddles the rear body cut out made for clearance of the bumper bracket (I could be wrong). In any case, this strap reinforces the rear body cutout area. If the strap is missing I could envision the fender causing the body cutout area to pull apart, leading to cracking.

In any case, attached is a pic of my 37 Fordor. Tomorrow I will remove this strap and take some measurements/pics. It looks quite easy to fabricate.

gregg

3w2    -- 11-20-2021 @ 7:53 PM
  I'm pretty sure that both of the two most recent photos in this thread show the same strap on two very, very different '37s.

This message was edited by 3w2 on 11-20-21 @ 7:55 PM

BRL    -- 11-21-2021 @ 6:27 AM
  Hi Guys:
Thanks to all for comments. Yes, I was in error to say this was an attachment for the rear of the bumper...I guess it just is a support for the cut-out in the rear valance for the bumper brackets. I do have capability of fabricating a replacement strap. I guess I will take off the right strap and measure it and see if it will fit the left side....if not, I can adjust the dimensions on a replacement to fit the existing hole pattern.

If someone finds a part number for this strap, please advise what book they found it in...I would probably want to buy this book.

Regards,
BRL

1937sedandelivery    -- 11-21-2021 @ 8:27 AM
  Here ya go. Let me know if you need more.
gregg

ford38v8    -- 11-21-2021 @ 9:39 AM
  Now I am embarrassed to have offered my off the wall guess. I’ve been under many ‘37’s on the Concourse, and can’t say as having ever seen that strap. I’m certainly glad to not have been the last word on this, and tip my hat to the voices of experience.

Alan

3w2    -- 11-21-2021 @ 2:11 PM
  Alan, You've been under that '37 in my photo.

1937sedandelivery    -- 11-21-2021 @ 2:54 PM
  I went back and took a more accurate measurement of the strap thickness. It is right at .1", rather than the 1/8" I stated. This pic reflects the update.
gregg

BRL    -- 11-22-2021 @ 7:13 AM
  Hi Gregg:
Thanks for the photo, dimensions and hardware info!...this will certainly help me fabricate this part correctly. Does anyone have any thoughts about what the correct color the strap should be?...same as body color...or?
Regards,
BRL

3w2    -- 11-22-2021 @ 2:47 PM
  If painted, it was very likely black regardless of the body color as the bumper brackets were installed on the chassis when the painted body was lowered onto it in the assembly process and therefore the straps were added after the body was installed on the chassis. Likely it wasn't painted but rather had a simple S2 (black oxide) finish like the fasteners used to attach the strap to the body.

1937sedandelivery    -- 11-22-2021 @ 3:13 PM
  I would buy that. When I removed mine there was no evidence of any paint.
gregg

BRL    -- 11-24-2021 @ 6:15 AM
  Hi Guys:
Thanks for the info...I will have my straps black oxide coated by my local plater and see about buying the correct hardware.
Thanks again,
BRL

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15307