Topic: Cable Length Issue?

Dream38v8    -- 10-14-2021 @ 4:37 AM
  I haven't had the time to pull the speedometer cable. I am making an assumption that the cable broke. I have located two sources for a new cable, but both cables are 70". According to the '38- '39 book the cable is approximately 65.92". Both sources include 17260 in their part number. According to the book the part number is 78-17260. So my question is will the additional length (4") of the aftermarket cable be an issue? I will not order until I have been able to remove the old. What else should I order (firewall groment, bracket)?

Thanks

Ray

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 10-14-2021 @ 5:52 AM
  hi Dream38v8
I would remove the old one and measure it,
then try to get a NOS from SOUTHSIDE OBSOLETE in Minn
Fred has many NOS., and a great person to deal with,
fred@southsideobsolete.com web site,
or someone else before I would by a foreign made one,
my 2 cents 37Ragtopman

carcrazy    -- 10-14-2021 @ 9:08 AM
  Why not just buy a new complete speedometer cable assembly which includes the outer housing and the internal cable. That way you will be sure the two fit together properly and will fully engage the speedometer and the gear in the transmission.

Dream38v8    -- 10-23-2021 @ 4:55 PM
  Thank you 37ragtopman. I contacted Fred. He has and I ordered a cable assembly. It was in the original Ford packaging. I've spent the day working liquid graphite into into the cable and housing. When I removed the old cable assembly the cable was broken about 1 1/2" from the transmission. The cable assembly was routed at almost a 90deg angle approximately where the cable broke. Is this correct? I believe I need to change the routing of the cable. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ray

kubes40    -- 10-23-2021 @ 4:58 PM
  Ray, At least in 1939, there was a metal "cover" that reinforced the end near the speedometer driven gear. That cover kept the cable from forming in to a too sharp curve.
Rarely have I witnessed the correct cable housing on the concourse.
Later service parts did not bother with this cover.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15214