Topic: Groaning noise and vibration in steering wheel

gsv36pickup    -- 09-18-2021 @ 3:42 PM
  I have a stock 36 pickup with hydraulic brakes. There is a groaning noise coming from front end and a vibration in the steering column when the steering wheel is turned to the right with the motor running. Any ideas?

40 Coupe    -- 09-19-2021 @ 4:56 AM
  Of course a stock 36 PU does not have hydraulic brakes so go through the installation to make sure it was done properly with the brake drums you have and the type of wheel rims your using. Ask your self: Did the problem suddenly develop or has it been this way since the brakes were modified? You may be able to get more info regarding the modification on the web site for the HAMB or fordbarn.com

51woodie    -- 09-19-2021 @ 6:32 AM
  A little more info would help. Does this happen when the vehicle is stationary or moving? That is not clear in your post. Include anything that you have checked, i.e. loose wheel bearings, motor mounts etc.

gsv36pickup    -- 09-19-2021 @ 9:51 AM
  Hi, This problem just started. Have been driving the truck as is for about 5 years. Put truck up on blocks since I do not have access to a lift and turned steering wheel with no noise. Checked for any loose or damaged parts but everything looked fine. There is no wear on tires. Put truck back on ground and just turn wheel slightly to RT and the noise and vibration is quite obvious. Don't have to turn wheel much to create the issue. Turning to LT is fine. Checked all fluids but have not pulled wheels to check brakes yet. Since I barely have to turn steering wheel to create noise, the tires are not even turning yet, I am thinking something in the steering gear box.

This message was edited by gsv36pickup on 9-19-21 @ 9:56 AM

TomO    -- 09-20-2021 @ 7:59 AM
  If the car is moving when the noise occurs, it could be a wheel bearing.

If the car is not moving, look for loose bolts on the steering gear or something that may be rubbing on the gear when the steering wheel is turned right

Tom

gsv36pickup    -- 09-20-2021 @ 11:04 AM
  Thanks Tom, It happens while moving or parked with engine running. I will check out the gears. Thanks for the lead.

CaliforniaBorn36    -- 09-22-2021 @ 8:16 AM
  Is it possible that the steering box or mount is loose and when turning, it is torquing/twisting and hitting the exhaust manifold, (could also be a loose or broken motor mount). There may be limited clearance between it and the exhaust manifold. The fact that you get noise and vibration even when the car is not moving would suggest something like this rather and an issue at the wheel/tire.

Just notice TomO's response which is similar

This message was edited by CaliforniaBorn36 on 9-22-21 @ 8:17 AM

gsv36pickup    -- 09-25-2021 @ 8:07 PM
  Thank you for your reply. will be checking motor mounts and steering box next.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15159