Topic: Themostats

mzahorik    -- 07-06-2021 @ 8:07 AM
  I rebuilding my V8. It's in a '37, but there is very little left of the original motor. I believe the block is a '46, it has a 59 on it, the remaining parts are also from different engines. Anyway, When I obtained the car, the engine did NOT have thermostats, it will now. The question is should I use the 160 or 180 degree? My temp gauge reads from 100 to 212. Thanks, Mike

carcrazy    -- 07-06-2021 @ 8:21 AM
  If it were mine, I would use 160 degree thermostats. You don't have to worry about the engine running too cold as Flatheads will warm up to an operating coolant temperature of approximately 100 degrees above the outside ambient temperature with these thermostats.

mzahorik    -- 07-06-2021 @ 10:38 AM
  Thanks for the reply. Well..... I've decided to try the 180 thermostat first. I plan on running 50/50 antifreeze. Then run the car for a while to see how she works. If I have to change, so be it, the thermostats are not that expensive. Thanks Mike

51woodie    -- 07-06-2021 @ 5:09 PM
  I started with 160s in my 46, 59AB, and it ran at 160. Too cold for for my liking. I switched to 180s and it runs very nicely at 180.

FordFreak    -- 07-07-2021 @ 5:45 AM
  I would start w/the 180's, also.

1937 Ford Coupe
1952 Ford F1 Pickup
1965 Falcon Sprint

mzahorik    -- 07-07-2021 @ 4:54 PM
  The 180 thermostats just start to open at 180. The temperature must be higher than 180 to be fully open. How hot does the engine actually get? Since the system is not pressurized, the temperature of the coolant (water), will exceed 212. The water will boil in the block. If the coolant is 50/50 antifreeze, could the temperature go greater than 212? I'm asking because I'm calibrating the temperature gauge to read something that will be meaningful. The max of the current gauge is 212, but should I recal the gauge so the max is 220? or something higher? Thanks Mike.

51woodie    -- 07-07-2021 @ 6:09 PM
  Not sure about temps at various points within the engine. I run 50/50 Prestone with a 4 psi cap, and the engine runs at 180 on the mechanical gauge in the left head. Extended idling on a hot day, it will creep up to 185/190 deg. The camera angle shows the temp a bit lower that it is.

1931 Flamingo    -- 07-08-2021 @ 6:11 AM
  "Extended idling on a hot day, it will creep up to 185/190 deg."

If temps are accurate I'd say you have nothing to worry about. Buy a Lottery ticket.

Paul in CT

51woodie    -- 07-08-2021 @ 7:02 AM
  Paul Unfortunately, my stats work better than my lottery tickets! My post was just info, that in my engine at least, the 180s work well and do the job. One thing that people need to be careful about, is securing the stats so the don't go out of position. When I bought my stock '46, it had two different stats in it, and one of the stats was turned sideways in the rad hose. I did a post on how I used a short piece of hose inside the rad hose, to prevent displacement of the new stats.

supereal    -- 07-09-2021 @ 8:03 AM
  Before installing thermostats, put them in a pan of water on the stove, along with a reliable thermometer, such as the kind used to make candy, etc. This will tell you if and when they are fully opening. The purpose of thermostats is to bring the engine to operating temperature quickly, particularly in winter weather. As most of us don't drive much, if any, in the cold months, the need for thermostats is reduced. Personally, I don't have them in my '47. It will warm up quickly without them, and in heavy traffic or highway cruising, temperature remains steady, and has done so for the twenty five years I have owned the car. I have seen postings which claim that the stats slow down the circulation so the coolant can more fully absorb the heat. That is untrue, but old myths die hard.

sarahcecelia    -- 07-09-2021 @ 11:35 AM
  That's not TRUE!! A 180 thermostat STARTS TO OPEN at "about 172-173," and is FULLY OPEN at 180! If you want the real spec on when it starts to open, I have it in my Factory notes in the rear garage on the back of my property, and I'll get it and message it to all on this site. If it didn't start to open until 180, it would ot be fully open until about 184 - 186- not good in my book, or the car companies, or the car owner either!

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 07-09-2021 @ 11:36 AM
  FORD MANUAL says use 160's.

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 07-09-2021 @ 11:43 AM
  That's very unusual that it runs at 160; what were you using to find that out?I use a "Candy Thermometer" in the top of the radiator with the cap off to get my readings; they are very accurate,( Candy thermometers) and ACCURACY IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT WHEN YOU DO THIS!!

Regards, Steve Lee

TomO    -- 07-10-2021 @ 8:39 AM
  Incorrect post

This message was edited by TomO on 7-10-21 @ 8:39 AM

supereal    -- 07-10-2021 @ 9:30 AM
  I wasn't writing about calibrating the stats, just to be sure that they both operate correctly, and in the range stated. It is not rare to find one or the other of the thermostats that doesn't open completely, causing overheating. In the 70+ years I have been working on old cars, I have seen plenty of them.

wmsteed    -- 07-10-2021 @ 10:55 AM
  I have always found the comments, pros/cons regarding thermostats/coolant to be very interesting, especially since most of the comments are based on myths in lieu of facts.
I went through a mechanics school in the early '50's, I can clearly recall the session about cooling and optimum operating temp's. The optimum operating temp was 180 degrees.
I can clearly recall the common practice during the late '40's, early 50's that removed the thermostats and anti-freeze in the spring, then replaced same in the fall. Of course the early forms of anti-freeze contained alcohol, which boils at 180, water boils at 212, therefore alcohol was not a good thing in the summer months.
The object of a thermostat is to maintain a constant temp, thereby maintaining optimum performance of the engine.
I could relate to "Supers" comment about checking thermostats in a pan of water with a thermometer, the first time I tried that in a shop I had recently gone to work in almost got me fired.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

mfirth    -- 07-11-2021 @ 5:37 AM
  180s made both of my 8BAs run at 180 to 190 in 80 degree weather. Never boiled or overheated.

1931 Flamingo    -- 07-11-2021 @ 11:41 AM
  Once the t/stat opens at either 160 or 180 it is the radiator that maintains that temp, if it gets below 160 or 180 the stats close and then the process starts all over. The radiator and block need to be clean for this to occur. JMO
Paul in CT

dean333    -- 07-18-2021 @ 11:01 AM
  Do stats tend to move if they are set in the head outlet of a 59AB rather than up at the top of the hose?

TIM CARLIG

len47merc    -- 07-19-2021 @ 4:47 AM
  dean333 - given the construction of the new radiator hoses you are correct, thermostats tend to 'cant' in the hoses.

See the below links on this. If judging/scoring is not a concern then supereal's comment in the first link is the easiest solution. If judging/scoring is a concern then note my (len47merc's) comments on an proven solution that will not compromise judging results in the second link from 7 years ago - still working to this day:

https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=7003&keywords=thermostat

https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=7429&keywords=stat

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-19-21 @ 4:49 AM

TomO    -- 07-19-2021 @ 7:29 AM
  Tim, some vendors and manufacturers supply the 1949-1953 thermostats for the 1938-1948 V-8 engine. They are almost the same, but the early car thermostats have a slightly larger diameter outer flange. I think that I may still have as set of the correct thermostats. If I do I will measure the diameter of the flange and post it here. The 1949-1953 thermostats will definitely travel up the hose a short distance and a hose clamp just above the head outlet or a short piece of hose inside the hose will keep the thermostats in place.

Tom

dean333    -- 07-19-2021 @ 10:37 AM
  The thermostats I got from Napa have a rubber seal around the edge, seems to me that would hold them in place.

TIM CARLIG

mzahorik    -- 07-25-2021 @ 9:35 AM
  Well... I purchased two 180 degree thermostats. I tested them and they start to open just before 175 and are full open by 180. One thing that I noticed is that there is no bleed hole. I thought that a thermostat should have a small (1/16" or less) hole that would allow trapped air to bleed off. Another item, the diameter of the these thermostats are slightly smaller than the head cast iron. What holds the thermostat down, so it doesn't pop up inside of the hose. Which could affect it's function. Thanks Mike

sarahcecelia    -- 07-25-2021 @ 9:43 AM
  I certainly hope that you used a good thermometer ( "Ray Gun") to determine the temperature at the top, middle, and bottom of the radiator; and a "Candy Thermometer" in the coolant in the top of the radiator(you know, in the fluid with the cap off.) because no car in this world would run that cold- and certainly not a flathead!

Regards, Steve Lee

mzahorik    -- 07-26-2021 @ 9:37 AM
  Once the engine is able to run again, I will monitor the temperature closely. Prior tp removing the engine I found that the drivers side was about 5-10 degrees cooler than the passenger side. The hotest spot was the back of the passenger side at about 185. Thanks Mike

TomO    -- 07-27-2021 @ 7:53 AM
  Mike, those thermostats will try to travel up the hoses. Some people put additional hose clamps while others put a piece of hose inside the hose to prevent the thermostats from traveling. The correct thermostats are the same diameter as the outside of the head opening. They will stay in place.

Tom

4ford    -- 07-31-2021 @ 8:33 AM
  i have a 41 and want to install thermostats. it runs fine just driving around but on hiway it get a little hot 212 . so looking at how to install them? i seen that you could put a peace of hose inside but wouldn't that come out and get cought at the end of the hose? if i put a hose clamp just above the one that holds the hose on makes more sense? i just think the hose would come lose and be a big problem any thoughts?

mzahorik    -- 07-31-2021 @ 9:57 AM
  The thermostats I purchased are just slightly smaller than the diameter of the cast iron opening in the head. About 1/64". It appears that the hose necks down and this holds the thermostat in place?

Mike

mzahorik    -- 07-31-2021 @ 10:01 AM
  4Ford, my opinion is that thermostats will not stop over heating. The radiator's job is to remove the heat. It could be water pumps or fan belt, but most times it's dirty radiator or failed radistor. Mike

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14980