Topic: 1938 Deluxe Fordor Gas Tank

Dream38v8    -- 06-02-2021 @ 6:17 AM
  Seeing the recent discussion regarding the 1937 gas tank reminded me of my issue. Gas bubbles out of the filler neck when adding gas. I have to be very careful at the rate of adding gas at the pump. I ran a wire down the gas tank vent tube to ensure the vent was clear. There appears to be no gas starvation issues will operating the car. What am I missing? The former owner stated he had to issue. I find this hard to believe since I've had the problem from the first time I added gas to the tank.

Thanks

Ray

40 Coupe    -- 06-02-2021 @ 7:33 AM
  It is possible the neck vent tube is under fuel and blocked from allowing air to escape while refueling. I think your on the right track but may have to go a bit further and remove the neck.

same    -- 06-02-2021 @ 7:41 AM
  hey dream 38, i have a 37 fordor that i have had filler neck issues also. it has a two piece neck. the upper neck from the gas cap to the threded tube in tank would quite often gurgle gas out that slightle loose fit. i used some jb weld brand black gas tank repair squeezable and slathered it on that union where of the two tubes meet with a wooden paint stick. that seemed to do the job. good luck. the stuff i believe said it was fuel and oil resistant. tom

fordv8j    -- 06-02-2021 @ 3:08 PM
  We have 2 38s; both takes gas really slow

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-17-2021 @ 7:35 AM
  Dream 38v8
I have a 37,
I think the problem is with the NEW GAS PUMPS, at the gas stations,
they pump in at a higher volume, then the old gas pumps, back in the day,!!!
you have to pump in the fuel at the slower speed,, at the lowest you can
and watch the the filler neck, and listen
my 2 cents 37 Ragtopman

Dream38v8    -- 06-17-2021 @ 11:16 AM
  Thanks Ragtop. I have been doing as you suggested. That rear fender area (gas tank filler) is the most washed and waxed part of the car.

Ray

Ray

same    -- 06-18-2021 @ 6:50 AM

Ragtopman has a good point. i have a 37 also and dont fill any faster than med. setting mostly slower so you can hear gas start to gurgle as you fill. thats if you can find a filling station that doesnt blast that noise cr*p they call music over every speaker out by the pumps. tom.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-18-2021 @ 9:05 AM
  hi Tom
You should be able to turn OFF the speakers at the gas pumps,

also another point I would like to make is the filler pipes are longer..to day then they were back in the day
this might have something to do with the problem of filling the gas tanks
my 2 cents 37Ragtopman

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14880