Topic: valuation of a 39 conv coupe project car

DohcV8    -- 05-06-2021 @ 12:23 AM
  I have a 39 convertible coupe project car. It runs and drives, but has no title.
Has a later engine (59 A-B Heads).
Believe it has an earlier tranny

Is there anyone who can help me with a rough valuation of this car?

Thanks,

Jerry

JayChicago    -- 05-06-2021 @ 7:40 AM
  No title? Pretty nice car to have come without a title. Looks like a stollen car to me. I wouldn’t touch it, for fear of one day a previous owner shows up with the police to confiscate his car.

I think to have any hope of seeing reasonable value, you will have to go thru the difficult legal process of getting a replacement title from your state.

wmsteed    -- 05-06-2021 @ 8:17 AM
  I guess I will be the first to throw my hat in the ring with a guesstimate of what the 39 is worth.
I reviewed the attached pix and noted many things wrong with the car. The top don't look right, poorly fitting with very bad weather stripping at the A & B pillars. Many things in the engine compartment are wrong, the least of which is the engine color, an indication that the car was built to a budget.
I would base my estimated value to be per the prices listed in the Collector Car Price Guide..
A # 5 is $8.400., a #4 is $14,000., averaging the numbers for high and low comes up with $11,200.
The price of collector cars is quite low, and has been for some time, people that got sucked into the "good investment trap" are finding themselves in a money losing situation.
A case in point, I recently purchased a '38 Buick Special 2dr sdn, a two owner car, the original owner, a women owned the car for over fifty years. The car is in perfect condition, original paint and interior in near new condition, all of the accessories worked, radio, heater, etc. The only issue was the brakes needed new wheel cylinders, as did the master cylinder.
Per the PRICE GUIDE the car listed for: #4, $7,400.-- #3, $16,550. average low/high $11,975. I bought the car for $13,000.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

42wagon    -- 05-06-2021 @ 9:51 AM
  Why do you want to know what the car is worth. Buying it? Selling it? Or just curious?
Without the title the car is worthless. You can't register it. You can't sell it legitimately. If you are buying it without a title how do you know it isn't stolen?

Even with a title there are a lot of variables. What is the condition of the engine, drive train, brakes, etc. How about rust, collision damage. What is it missing to bring it into condition for fine point judging.

In short it is difficult for us to value the car from just a couple of photos. But everything else is insignificant without a title.

1931 Flamingo    -- 05-06-2021 @ 12:50 PM
  Without the title the car is worthless. You can't register it. You can't sell it legitimately. If you are buying it without a title how do y.

Not all States require a title to register. Here in CT NO title is given depending on how old the car is. A Bill of Sale is all that's needed plus a Vin verification.
It would matter which State the buyer is in. JMO
Paul in CT

DohcV8    -- 05-06-2021 @ 2:35 PM
  My father bought the car in Canada around 1982 as a partial car, missing body panels, the interior, and drive train.

He had the necessary paperwork to cross the border.

My father built a car out of it and had a title. It was registered in Ohio for years.

When I tried to register the car in Texas I found the frame didn’t match the title.

It’s had several flatheads in it over the years, possibly the title matched one of those, but not this motor.

I don’t know, and my father’s been gone for more than 20 yrs.

I may just sell it as a parts car.

Jerry

TomO    -- 05-06-2021 @ 5:10 PM
  Check with the Texas DMV to see what they require to issue a title. If you don't have to do a lot of paperwork, get the title as it will mean a few thousand dollars in a sale.

Not all car buyers are looking for a perfect car, there are quite a few that would like a car to drive and upgrade as they have the money. Things like a later model engine or incorrect radiator do not bother them and items that need repair add to joy of working on a car and improving it. With a title, the car could be a 4 or 4+, depending on how much the photo is hiding the defects.

Tom

kubes40    -- 05-06-2021 @ 5:55 PM
  I agree with TomO.

The car as pictured is worth some decent money. The car should not be parted out.
A title is nice and adds value to the car. However, not having a tile does not make the car "worthless".

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Steve Kennedy    -- 05-06-2021 @ 7:52 PM
  You might post where you are. In Colorado, it is possible to have the State Highway Patrol inspect the chassis number, then one can apply for a title. There are a few more steps but it is probably state dependent.

DohcV8    -- 05-06-2021 @ 8:04 PM
  I live in Florida now. Sinvcecgge title doesn’t match the frame #, I can’t get a fl title.

TomO    -- 05-07-2021 @ 7:38 AM
  I would go to the DMV and talk with a supervisor about your problem. Bring any documentation that you have including any probate papers, bill of sale, duty or import papers, old registration from Ohio and a tracing of the frame number to show proof of ownership. The supervisor should be able to tell you how you can obtain a title.

If all of this fails contact an attorney for help. The fee for a good attorney should be returned in the selling price improvement.

IMHO doing this work is well worth the extra couple of thousand or more that you will get for the car.

Tom

trjford8    -- 05-07-2021 @ 8:05 AM
  Look around for a "Title Service" in your area. many times they know how to navigate the local DMV as they have constant contact with the state DMV. The car should be registered by the frame number. There are no numbers on the motor. Most states can issue their own DMV number to a car if there is a problem with the frame number. As others have indicated a title is very important when selling a car.

wmsteed    -- 05-07-2021 @ 9:30 AM
  OK lets rethink the title situation..
Is the serial number that is stamped into the frame correct for a '39 Ford? Model 91A 2 dr del conv cpe.
The serial number starts at 18-4661001, ending 18-210700. As most of know the EFV8 serial numbers mean nothing as to the origin of the vehicle, it is a sequential assigned to the engine/trans combo at the Ford engine plant.
If the frame and serial number are correct for a '39, you can build on that information to establish documentation to secure a new tile.
My brother had a similar situation with a '37 Ford 4dr sdn that he bought when he lived in California.
The car was reputedly an un-restored original car that my brother owned for almost fifteen years before moving to Idaho. When the car was inspected in Idaho it was found that the serial number on the frame did not match the title. In the 1960's nobody bothered to check serial numbers, the question only came up when a vehicle was moved to a new state. I recall having to have my '36 Ford inspected when I moved from Idaho to California in 1956.
My brother could prove that he had owned the car for many years via the multiple CA registration cards he had. It took some doing but my brother was able to get an Idaho title for the '37.
I have experienced title issues on several occasions with vehicle I have purchased. I build a paper trail based on printed documentation, ie; Standard Catalog of American Cars, etc.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-07-2021 @ 9:56 AM
  HI DohocV8
if you pick up a COPY of HEMMING'S MOTOR NEWS,
there are a few ads for car titles.
it might be worth the money,
THAT 39 LOOKS Like a great driver.
they made more closed car than Open cars,
and there is a BIG Difference in price, then add the RUMBLE SEAT,
MY 2 cents 37Ragtopman
my 37Cabriolet at OWL'S HEAD Transportation MUSEUM ,MAINE
WHAT does FLA require you have to get a title ? tracing of the vin number ? or do they have to inspect ?
Supply MORE INFORMATION, ~~~~~~~

cdeac47    -- 05-07-2021 @ 12:15 PM
  I am going through a process on my '47 Ford that the VIN on the frame has been double stamped. I am working with the California Highway Patrol and though it's a process that is taking some time I pretty sure I'll have a California title in a few short weeks. The CHP officer found out the car was NOT stolen!!

I would try to work with a piece officer in your state to try and get a title for it; it can't be that hard!!

37 Coupe    -- 05-07-2021 @ 3:18 PM
  It also has a strange looking radiator and the front wheel/tire does not seem to fit the fender opening.Mayby not even an early Ford 35 up frame/wheelbase? Mayby an optical illusion/\.

Grant    -- 05-13-2021 @ 4:49 AM
  That's a very nice driver quality '39 convertible.

Your father did a respectable job on the restoration. It looks good. The car deserves to be licensed and driven. Not parted out.

A company like Florida Fast Auto Title Service in Tampa should be able to help you do whatever work needs to be done with the DMV to have a title issued in that state.

This message was edited by Grant on 5-13-21 @ 4:50 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14807