Topic: 39 Ford deluxe front axle wishbone

mikeR1    -- 04-10-2021 @ 11:21 AM
  I have a 39 Ford deluxe coupe that I am changing the front axle to a 4" drop axle and I am down to trying to remove the old pins that mount the front wishbone to the old axle. the old pins do not look original because the pins have an eyelete forged on one end of the pin for mounting the front shocks to the axle (I don't see anywhere this is original design to the vehicle). Is there a trick for getting these bolts out. I see the new bolts I have are tapered so i was assuming once the old ones moved they would just fall out, but I have tried all different types of force from a sledge hammer to a mechanical "gear " pull but to no avail. Looking for some advice, I do not want to ruin the wishbone as that is the only thing off the old front axle assemble I need for the new setup.

Thanks
Mike R.

kubes40    -- 04-10-2021 @ 11:33 AM
  Mike, There are no "tricks" to this task. Perseverance, patience and full list of cuss words will be necessary.
The taper is VERY strong as you know.
I have had in rare cases to drill them out. You may apply heat and then melt some wax in the spaces between the bolt and axle. Let it all cool naturally - do not quench.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 4-10-21 @ 11:46 AM

trjford8    -- 04-11-2021 @ 7:33 AM
  Once the nut is removed, turn the axle over and stat soaking it with PB Blaster. Also ad a little Lock-Ease. You may need to do this for several days. Then add some heat and maybe some wax as Mike suggests. Then let it cool and whack with the big hammer. Once you start to see rusty liquid coming out of the other end on the axle you are getting close to being able to drive them out.

sarahcecelia    -- 04-11-2021 @ 8:18 AM
  "Kubes," you made me laugh aloud when I read that thread and you said that the guy might have to use a " full list of cuss words! " I loved it!!! Have a good day my friend.

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 4-11-21 @ 8:19 AM

alanwoodieman    -- 04-12-2021 @ 7:31 AM
  I put one in a press and it registered 50 tons before it came loose!! I have never had but one to cause this much work and cussing to get out, I can cuss like a "sailor" because I was one

carcrazy    -- 04-12-2021 @ 12:29 PM
  When tackling these tough jobs I find that praying helps.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14744