Topic: missing can only get 40MPH

flatfoot    -- 04-08-2021 @ 3:47 PM
  Recently overhauled motor, '37 flathead, can only get 40 mph top speed. Has non rebuilt carburetor, it's new. Changed new spark plugs. all cylinders 85-90 ft. lbs.. Points are set and very good distributor good, timing good. What's up?? I'm at a loss. Has 800 miles on new rebuilt engine. Carb is Stromberg 97. I'm in Redding, CA not a lot of early v-8ers here. Motor runs good at idle and starts right up quickly.

This message was edited by flatfoot on 4-8-21 @ 3:48 PM

MG    -- 04-08-2021 @ 6:09 PM
  Sounds like you're running on just 4 cylinders. If you can, replace the carb with a known working/functional one....

Mr Rogers    -- 04-08-2021 @ 8:28 PM
  Are you getting a spark from all plugs at idle? Take a wire and touch plug to block.
When engine is OFF, air cleaner OFF, pulling the peddle rod, is the carb spurting all jets?
At 40 mph and you floor it, does it sound starving or missing?
Is the choke fully open?

carcrazy    -- 04-08-2021 @ 8:44 PM
  Make sure you have spark to all 8 cylinders. If you do, and still have the same issues, suspect a fuel starvation problem.

mfirth    -- 04-09-2021 @ 4:54 AM
  If you have a flexible fuel line in the fuel delivery system, it could be collapsing on the inside. Not visable, it collapses under vac pressure. I once replace a pump to no avail & found that replacing that fuel line fixed the problem.

flatfoot    -- 04-09-2021 @ 2:27 PM
  It acts like its at top speed. Or that it has a governor on it.

carcrazy    -- 04-09-2021 @ 7:44 PM
  Does your car have the 60 HP engine?

sarahcecelia    -- 04-10-2021 @ 4:10 AM
  Carburetor isn't giving enough gas to go faster. Overhaul it or better yet; buy a new one from Carpenter Ford if they have one for that year car.

Regards, Steve Lee

40 Coupe    -- 04-10-2021 @ 5:50 AM
  Before going out and buying another Carb which should be a Stromberg 97 for the 85HP you have. Check out the fuel pump output plus the flexible hose from the metal fuel line to the fuel pump and the Carb float level. If there is any brakes in the metal fuel line to the gas tank make sure none of the patches leak and the old rubber fuel lines are replaced with modern line that can stand up to todays fuel.

carcrazy    -- 04-10-2021 @ 10:19 AM
  If the engine was just rebuilt, it may not have been assembled correctly. The cam timing may be wrong. To check for this, you can remove the front cover of the engine to verify that the crankshaft and camshaft are positioned correctly with each other. You can check this by rotating the engine until the timing mark dot on the crank gear is at the 12 o'clock position. If the timing is correct, the timing mark line on the cam gear will lineup with the dot. You may have to rotate the engine one crank revolution to TDC of the compression stroke to get the two marks to line up. If the two marks can't be made to line up by simply rotating the engine, you will have to remove the cam gear and rotate the camshaft until you can get it positioned properly for the two gears to lineup to ensure proper valve timing.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-12-2021 @ 6:55 AM
  flatfoot
like carcrazy
said you might have to check the cam timing,
I hope it is correct, if it is a pressed on gear and is off, you have a lot of work to do,
especially if the gear was not pressed on on correctly, there are fine line up marks on the cam shaft and the cam gear,.
I only use the bolt on gears for this reason,
my 2 cents 37 Ragtopman
first check your compression and get back to us with the reading,
you might have sticking exhaust valves, because of the rebuilt engine ?
use MMO in the gas and drip a few drops when running down the carb,
maybe this is the answer

also if the car was setting for a long time check the exhaust system for being clogged, any strange sounds?
mice nests in the car, anything is possible
clogged air cleaner ?

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 4-14-21 @ 11:22 AM

MG    -- 04-14-2021 @ 10:48 AM
  Hey, flatfoot! - Talk to us. Did you find and resolve the problem?

srg    -- 04-14-2021 @ 1:20 PM
  If you had the engine rebuilt at another place, I would drive it down there and tell them to make it right.

flatfoot    -- 04-18-2021 @ 10:12 PM
  Carb was the problem. Never get sucked in South American early Ford parts. The old carb was just exact copy of a strom 97, but made in South America. Holy mackerel. Got a real 97 and man 80 mph down the freeway. Thanks to all for your info.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14742