Topic: Motor Stops Running

sarahcecelia    -- 04-06-2021 @ 5:56 AM
  My friends car ( a 1950 Ford car) runs about a mile, then the motor dies.Then It restarts again. I think it is a fuel problem; what do you guys think??

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 4-6-21 @ 5:57 AM

TomO    -- 04-06-2021 @ 7:51 AM
  I have no idea. He needs to check spark and fuel to determine what the problem is.

Tom

51504bat    -- 04-06-2021 @ 8:04 AM
  Take the gas cap off and see if that helps. Might be a venting issue. If not you'll have to start from square one to diagnose the problem. Spark, fuel, etc.

RAK402    -- 04-06-2021 @ 10:04 PM
  My 40 did that for a while-it turned out to be a bad (repro) ignition resistor.

Kens 36    -- 04-07-2021 @ 8:59 AM
  It's a '50. No ignition resistor.

sarahcecelia    -- 04-07-2021 @ 2:27 PM
  I found the problem almost immediately. I tried put some gas down the throat of the carb, and it would just fire enough to disengage the starter; but no matter. After a few tries- couldn't make it continue to run! AHA; fuel problem! Took the top off the Edelbrock carb (junk made in china now) and it was full of all kinds of dirt. Called a carb specilalist I know, and he said new jets for one were in the $90 dollar area, Holly jets were $12-" He said, "Throw it away and get a 390 cfm Holly!"My friend is ordering one; then I'll install it, start it, warm it up, and adjust it. Then I'll give it a "tune up" by setting the timing "staticly", (after checking the point dwell.) and checking the gap on the plugs. Then test ride, return home, take the plugs out and check how they are burning.Then he'll be another happy 1950 Ford Sedan owner! I have so many friends with old flat head Fords That want me to fix their cars, I could have a customer every day; and they want to pay me! but at 84 yrs old- I just do it for fun! (And they love my prices-FREE!!)

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 04-07-2021 @ 2:46 PM
  He, like most of the guys in my area that have these cars with flatheads in them, but don't now any thing about how to fix them when they have a problem; and little by little they gravitate to me; and when I say they don't know anything, They don't! They are amazed that I know how to set the timing with out my timing light! "Staticly!!" I only use it to check vacuum advance! All of them tell me that their cars overheat! Mine don't!! I tell them bring it over and I'll fix it for FREE so it doesn't over heat, or tell you how and why it is overheating,and you can fix it. Figure, back in "The Day" Ford sold cars that always over heated??" Bull****! I bought a used one in 1955, a 1950 sedan, and it NEVER OVERHEATED and I was 18 yrs. old and ran the pi*s out of it daily!!

Regards, Steve Lee

ford38v8    -- 04-07-2021 @ 3:27 PM
  Steve, it occurs to me that as you are so very, very knowledgeable about flatheads, how come you have so many, many questions, but so very, very few answers?

Alan

carcrazy    -- 04-07-2021 @ 11:15 PM
  The stock distributors on the 1949 through 1953 Ford Flathead V-8 engines are dependent upon a venturi vacuum signal from the original Ford carburetor to provide the proper spark advance for the engine. If you replace the original Ford 2V carburetor with a Holley 390 CFM 4V carburetor you will not be able to provide the proper ignition advance for best running of the engine without also replacing the distributor. In order to get the proper amount of spark advance at all engine speeds and loads, you will have to replace the original distributor with a custom one that features both centrifugal and vacuum advance mechanisms.

sarahcecelia    -- 04-08-2021 @ 10:46 AM
  Alan, I know how to fix most anything on a Shoe Box Ford, but sometimes I like to hear different opinions. They might tell me something that I forgot to think about at my old age. Think of it this way: One's head is a computer, and mine at 84 years old is so full of info, it's running on OVERLOAD!
Why don't I chime in with answers you say? Because by the time I see the threads with a question, they have already gotten enough answers to figure it out without my input.

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 4-8-21 @ 10:48 AM

coilover    -- 04-11-2021 @ 1:17 AM
  The very first thing I do on the 49-53 Loadamatic distributors is REPLACE them. Lousy design. I have the machine capabilities so use a Chevy distributor with the external point (dwell) adjust feature.

ken ct.    -- 04-11-2021 @ 4:28 AM
  Thanks Alan ,i ve said the same about him,he needs to do more reading,. Too many questions could be looked up in repair manuals. ken ct.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14732