Topic: 47 Ford water pump gaskets

ross49    -- 03-22-2021 @ 3:30 PM
  Ready to bolt on refurbished water pumps but I can't recall if I used a gasket sealer with the pumps or just the plain gasket. My suspicion is there was no sealer when I put them on years ago but I'm not sure. Any advice?

kubes40    -- 03-22-2021 @ 3:35 PM
  I use a thin layer of sealer on each side of the gasket. Can't hurt... it can only help.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

carcrazy    -- 03-22-2021 @ 4:38 PM
  My recommendation is to use a very thin layer of Permatex #2 non-hardening sealant on each side of the gasket.

TomO    -- 03-23-2021 @ 9:14 AM
  I use Hi-Tack spray on the water pump side to hold the gasket in place while I bolt it on. I do not use it on the block side because it is difficult to scr*pe it off when you replace the pump.

Tom

Fordfan1    -- 03-23-2021 @ 10:53 AM
  KW Copper coat

JM    -- 03-23-2021 @ 9:23 PM
  After throughly cleaning, flattening and deburring mating surfaces of both castings, I apply a thin layer of chassis grease on both sides of gasket before assembly, and have never had a problem with coolant leak or removing old gaskets when replacing pumps.

John

This message was edited by JM on 3-28-21 @ 7:33 AM

supereal    -- 04-18-2021 @ 12:33 PM
  When installing flathead water pumps, be sure the the oil passage to the shaft of the pump is clear. We also use a thin film of grease on each side of the gasket, and don't forget the hidden bolt inside the outlet. We put Permatex on the threads of that bolt.. Some prefer to replace the original bolt in the outlet with a stainless steel one, but isn't usually necessary.

ford38v8    -- 04-18-2021 @ 2:24 PM
  JM makes some excellent points. Think about scr*ping off old sealant by the roadside at night. Deburr, grease just to hold position, and use a stainless bolt inside the inlet.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14700