Topic: heater blower switch

artron9    -- 01-12-2021 @ 12:08 PM
  I have lost the high speed on my 52 Ford heater blower. Low speed works fine. I want to remove the switch and see what is going on. I may be able to repair it. How do I remove the bezel on the front of the dash? Is there anything else I should be aware of in removing the switch? thanks for your insights! Ron

Mr Rogers    -- 01-12-2021 @ 12:30 PM
  I don't have an answer for you but if you wanted to look at one out of the dash ... there's one for sale on Ebay.

artron9    -- 01-12-2021 @ 12:33 PM
  I will! Thank you mr. Rogers!

Grant    -- 01-12-2021 @ 6:15 PM
  Attached is a photo of page 240 from the 1952 Ford passenger car Shop Manual, which shows Fig. 27 - Removing Heater Blower Switch using a FoMoCo 17470-N service tool.

Also in that photograph is an aftermarket two-pronged made in USA "Bonney V36" socket (1/4 inch drive, 1 3/8 inches long).

Page 238 of the manual says "The blower switch is attached with a special nut and can be removed by using a special wrench after unscr*w*ng the switch knob (fig. 27)."

Your switch knob should unscrew easily when rotated counter-clockwise. The V36 then slides over the blower switch shaft and the two prongs at its end engage slots in the small round chrome-plated threaded nut which holds the blower switch in place. If I remember correctly, that nut also needs to rotate counter-clockwise to be removed.

The switch might have a hot wire which is live even when the ignition is turned off. Watch out.

If you can't find a V36 or a 17470-N for sale (e.g. maybe on Ebay?), it shouldn't be too difficult to fabricate a homemade V36 by carefully using a grinder and/or a file on an old 1/4 inch or possibly a 5/16 inch socket.

Checking the three wires (and all their connections) which run to your blower motor would also be a good idea.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out with your repair.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-15-2021 @ 6:53 AM
  hi Ron
did you try small needle nose plyers,?
also maybe just spraying ELECTRIC MOTOR CLEANER might do the trick,
you also may have a loose wire,?
good luck
my 2 cents 37Ragtopman

Grant    -- 01-16-2021 @ 6:00 AM
  Here are two close-up views of the Bonney V36 socket.

These work well on other earlier and later Ford and Mercury dashboard switches, not just 1952.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14490