Topic: Lower radiator hoses

Zero    -- 11-30-2020 @ 9:25 AM
  I've pulled the radiator and the two water pumps from my Model 78 37 slantback. The water pumps were starting to leak and I figured this would be a good time to have the radiator looked at. My question is in what order do I install the lower radiator hoses? I'll install the water pumps first but do I then install the lower hoses on them? IF I install them on the radiator first, it seems that would cause a problem getting the radiator installed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also while looking thru the 1937 Ford book it stated that two different type of thermostats were used in that year. The radiator has no markings on it to indicate the manufacturer. One was part number 78-8575-A and the other was 78-8575-B1. These corresponded to the different outlet sizes on the heads. The earlier outlet size was 1.70" and the later was 1.90". Is there a way to determine if you have an early year model car or late year model car? The "serial number" indicates the motor was produced in April of 37. The glass also has a date of April 37.

As always, thanks to the forum for any help and guidance.

John.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-30-2020 @ 10:10 AM
  Zero
I think you have to place the radiator in, with the lower hoses on, and then slide it back over the pumps,
have a helper would be advisable .
remove the generator with fan for easier operation,
make sure you measure the hoses, cut to the length the old ones were,
using a sealer would help to make it slide over and seal the connections # 1 Permatex
also the outlets sizes on the heads and radiator are different for 60 hp and 85 hp
that's why there is 2 different sizes,
Hope this helps 37Ragtopman

Zero    -- 11-30-2020 @ 1:29 PM
  37RAGTOPMAN,

Thanks for your advice. Prior advice worked great. Just waiting for the pumps to be returned from Skip Haney.

John

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14367