Topic: 1941 dashboard

olguy317    -- 11-24-2020 @ 12:55 PM
  Does anyone know if the dashboard in a 1941 Ford is removable. I need to close up some dash "butchering" done by the previous
owner. I'd rather not weld/grind inside the car with a fresh interior.
Thanks,
Tony

Thanks
Tony

42wagon    -- 11-25-2020 @ 3:16 AM
  Based on the 42 it should be removable. You will need to remove the interior windshield trim. The windshield can stay in place. Also there probably is some trim at the sides. As I remember most of the screws are underneath. You will need to disconnect all the wiring and the linkage for the vent and the connections for the windshield wipers. If you have a defroster the piping for that comes out too. Its easier to remove the glovebox as I believe some of the screws holding the dash are up behind it

I had mine out to have it wood grained and you might want to think about doing the same.

joe b    -- 11-25-2020 @ 6:12 AM
  I agree with 42 wagons response. It is not a fun project as all of the screws are underneath. I removed my front seat for better access. Also, be sure to mark EVERY wire's location. It is surprising how they don't seem in the right location after the dash is removed. Also, I agree that you should do everything such as wood graining while it it out.

TomO    -- 11-25-2020 @ 8:02 AM
  The instrument panel on my 40 Merc was held in place by 2 large bolts at the bottom by the side of the cowl and 10 screws under the windshield trim (accessible when trim is removed). The steering wheel drop bolts also had to be removed. My vent operating mechanism did not have to be removed, but it is different from the 41, so I don't know about that.

I would take photos of the wiring and under dash hardware, then print them out and compare them with what you see under the dash. When you are satisfied that the photos show everything you can start to remove the panel. I suggest that you install a new wiring harness. That way you can just cut the wires going to the instruments. Next i would remove any under dash hardware that needs to come out, loosen the cowl bolts and remove the windshield screws. Then remove the steering column drop bolts and the cowl bolts and the panel.

Tom

woodiewagon46    -- 11-25-2020 @ 9:23 AM
  All excellent advice, I might also remove the steering wheel to gain as much room as possible. As others have pointed out, it's a fairly big job. Tom's advice about a new wiring harness is excellent, as you will be surprised how brittle the old wire will be.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14356