Topic: wiring for 1940 heater switch

tweetsmith01    -- 11-20-2020 @ 4:29 PM
  im wiring a 40 ford heater switch there are 4 wires coming from the blower motor but the wire colors are changed so im trying to figure out if one wire is hot from ignition thru motor to the switch is the ground and two wires are cc and ccw motor rotation what is the fourth terminal on the switch used for i dont have much knoldge of electrical

kubes40    -- 11-20-2020 @ 4:36 PM
  Hot air heater?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

tweetsmith01    -- 11-20-2020 @ 4:41 PM

no mi9ke its hot water heater

tweetsmith01    -- 11-20-2020 @ 4:46 PM
  sorry about the typing kube its a water heater

kubes40    -- 11-21-2020 @ 6:45 AM
  The green wire is the ground. Put that anywhere you like that you KNOW will supply a good ground. Typically this is on the lip of the instrument panel.

On your switch there are four terminals.
As you are looking directly at the switch terminals with the resistor at the bottom (6 o'clock):

* The one with the resistor : Attach a wire to it and connect the other end to your source. Typically this would be the ignition switch or the circuit breaker. I strongly suggest you attach this to a terminal that is "hot" ONLY when the ignition is on.

At 12 o'clock, directly across from the "resistor" terminal: Yellow wire.
At 3 o'clock: brown wire.
At 9 o'clock: red wire.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

tweetsmith01    -- 11-21-2020 @ 7:31 AM
  thanks kube big help and fast response thanka again

TomO    -- 11-21-2020 @ 7:43 AM
  If you have the Ford switch, there are colored dots next to each terminal corresponding to the wire color. If your wires are a different color than the ones on the diagram, I can help you find out which wires are connected to the field and which wires are connected to the brushes without disassembling the motor.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 11-21-20 @ 7:46 AM

tweetsmith01    -- 11-21-2020 @ 9:03 AM
  would be great if you could explain that to me since the motor is rewired with different color wires i know which two wires are for rotation just need to know how to find correct ground

tweetsmith01    -- 11-21-2020 @ 3:19 PM
  tom if you can explain to me how to figure out the ground and the field wires that would be great now i have a hot going thru the motor back to the switch not any near that its suppose to be

This message was edited by tweetsmith01 on 11-21-20 @ 3:49 PM

TomO    -- 11-23-2020 @ 9:22 AM
  I though that I still had the wiring instructions from the motor harness that I bought years ago, but they are not on either my hard drive or my offline storage, so I am going to have to wing it.

In the heater motor one end of the field has battery voltage and the other is connected to ground. In the diagram above, the inside field wire is connected to ground and the motor will run in one direction depending on the polarity of the wires going to the brushes. If you reverse the field wires and leave the brush wires connected to the same polarity, the motor will reverse direction. In other words, to reverse the direction of the heater motor, you must change the polarity of the field or the brushes, not both.

To determine which wires are the field wires, use your ohm meter. Connect one lead to a wire and then connect the other lead to each of the other wires until you get continuity, then turn the motor by hand. If the meter needle fluctuates or resistance changes as you rotate the motor, you have the 2 brush wires (the red and brown wires in the diagram). If the reading is constant, you have the field wires (Green and yellow in the diagram).

Connect the brush wires to the red and brown terminals on the switch and one of the field wires to the yellow terminal on the switch and ground the other. Connect power to the switch and turn it to Heat Fast. The motor should spin fast in the counter clockwise direction. If it spins in the clockwise direction, reverse the field wires.

Tom

tweetsmith01    -- 11-23-2020 @ 1:38 PM
  thank you for the help

tweetsmith01    -- 11-24-2020 @ 9:49 AM
  need to replace or repair heater motor do i need a 2 speed motor or one that rotates both directions this one starts but sometime it need to be spun to start where wound i look for one

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14344