Topic: 36 Slantback Body off frame

pops3    -- 09-21-2020 @ 6:46 AM
  I was wondering if anyone had advice on removing the body of a model 68 slant back. I've started working on my Grandfathers 36 that has been a barn ornament since 1964. Floor pans in bad shape. I was hoping to build interior brace with 3/4" tubing and remove body from chassis to work on running gear this fall. Hoping to have body bead blasted and metal repaired by spring. I'm trying to get this car driving in the next 12 months. Would love for my 94 year old Uncle to see his fathers car running again.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This is my first restoration and it is a family heirloom.
Thanks,
Pops3

juergen    -- 09-21-2020 @ 8:54 AM
  Since it is a slant back, you don't have to brace the top. I have used conduit to brace the bottom in front of and rear of the doors. Tack weld in the rectangle and also diagonally in a place where you can replace the entire floor once off the body.

After bracing, you will have fun removing the body to frame bolts, so much so that you want to keep your wife and kids away.

A one year restoration is ambitious. Good luck.

51woodie    -- 09-22-2020 @ 7:59 AM
  Pops. When I braced my '51 to take it off the frame, I made the mistake of installing the bracing where it prevented me from being able to re install the doors to check for proper fit, as I was doing the body repairs. Fortunately, a more knowledgeable person caught it in time, and I relocated the bracing before lifting the body. I'm only suggesting this, as it would be additional time to keep the family away when the doors wouldn't close, after all your hard work.

This picture shows what I did wrong.

pops3    -- 09-22-2020 @ 10:20 AM
  Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.. I'm trying to be cautious as I go since this car mean so much to my family. I've been reading these forums for a couple of years and gathering knowledge and parts along the way. Hope to post a picture of our finished project while my father and Uncle are still here.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14177