Topic: Rear springs

silverchief    -- 09-20-2020 @ 4:36 PM
  I want to replace the rubber shackle bushings in the rear spring of my 46.

Do I jack up the rear of my car, to drop the wheels and take pressure off the spring so I can remove the necessary bolt....... each in turn?

Seems to me I have read threads saying there is a lot more to it than that. I'm looking for help before I get into trouble.

Barney    -- 09-20-2020 @ 5:53 PM
  Yes, I believe there is more to this than meets the eye. I have a '40, but I'm guessing they're the same or similar. If I remember correctly, there's a fairly serious preload on those springs. If so, you must remove the preload. If you can't remove the bolt(s) easily, then there's probably an existing preload. Be careful!
Barney

kubes40    -- 09-20-2020 @ 7:27 PM
  The only way I would tackle this is to employ a spring spreader. A HIGH QUALITY spreader at that.
If you have rubber bushings in there, it's a fairly easy task to R&R. If you have the authentic steel sleeved bushings, you're in for a job.
If you can tell me what's in there, I can walk you through this step by step.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

carcrazy    -- 09-20-2020 @ 8:21 PM
  This is an extremely tough job if you have the original Ford bushings in the springs. You will need someone else to help you, a floor jack and the special tools required to do the job. This might be a job to farm out to a professional.

42wagon    -- 09-21-2020 @ 3:23 AM
  Do not approach this project without a spring spreader to take the tension off the spring. If you have the original type shackles they will probably need to be drilled out. If I remember correctly that is not an easy job to do as they will be frozen in the spring and the axle housing. You will need to rise the car and put it on jack stands. You may even want to consider rolling the rear axle out from under the car so you have space to work on the spring. Even with the weight of the car off it there still is considerable tension in the spring. So be very careful and if you can find a friend who has done this job before get him/her to help.

silverchief    -- 09-21-2020 @ 8:31 AM

Thanks. That's all I need to know. Will take it to my garage.

1934 Ford    -- 09-26-2020 @ 4:35 PM
  My local club in Florida had a spring spreader, which I borrowed when needed.
I used a deep well socket to drive the metal bushings out. Not easy!

1934 Ford's since 1972

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14176