Topic: Steering box

silverchief    -- 09-19-2020 @ 2:18 PM
  The steering box on my 46 is leaking badly.

The threads I have read all suggest switching to Corn Head grease as a sure way to stop any leaking, but I have tried other sure cures in the past that proved useless.

I'm inclined to just replace all the gaskets but don't find any past threads with a "how to" theme.

I would like instructions and tips from guys who have done this.

Thank you.

kubes40    -- 09-19-2020 @ 2:27 PM
  Replacing the gaskets is always a good (first) response to a leak. I'd suggest you replace the seal at the pitman arm at the same time.
When you pull the lower cover off (four bolts) match the thickness of the replacement gaskets to what you find currently in place. The new gasket sets include a number of these in different thicknesses.
A common place for a leaking steering gear box is where the tube was crimped to that lower plate. Be certain that tube is tight to the plate. If not, silver soldering works well.

Corn head grease does help in this placement but is not a "cure all" if the box leaks badly.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

sarahcecelia    -- 09-19-2020 @ 3:14 PM
  Buy" Penrite" Steering box lube.

It's very thick, a little pricy- $29.22 on EBAY, but doesn't leak! I understand it's made in Australia.

You can purchase it locally by "Googleing it!"

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 9-19-20 @ 3:17 PM

carcrazy    -- 09-19-2020 @ 5:05 PM
  If the steering box is just leaking at the seal on the pitman arm shaft, Corn Head Grease will cure the leak after all of the 90 wgt. gear oil is out of the steering box. Corn Head Grease is available from your local John Deere dealer in 14 ounce tubes under part no. AN102562. It is reasonably priced and quite effective once the original gear oil has either been removed from or leaked out of the box.

1931 Flamingo    -- 09-20-2020 @ 7:14 AM
  I've been "pushing" PennRite on the Model A side of FordBarn for years.
Paul in CT

TomO    -- 09-21-2020 @ 7:36 AM
  I prefer to fix the leak and preserve the internal parts with the correct lube.

Tom

silverchief    -- 09-21-2020 @ 8:27 AM
  Thanks guys.

Helpful information.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14174