Topic: Clock

silverchief    -- 09-15-2020 @ 9:00 AM
  Had the clock in my 46 rebuilt about 5 yrs ago. Now it runs when it feels like it usually off an hour to two.

Is it feasible for me to take it apart for cleaning and a little clock oil or should I have it rebuilt again. if so, would like recommendation to do that.

1931 Flamingo    -- 09-15-2020 @ 12:15 PM
  Nothing to lose by oiling it. JMO
Paul in CT

Jacques1960    -- 09-15-2020 @ 2:29 PM
  Bob’s Speedometer gets good reports

51woodie    -- 09-15-2020 @ 8:19 PM
  I had the clock for my '46 done at Bob's and it ran well for two years, then quit. With shipping and customs costs between Ontario and the US, I decided to tackle it myself. Not a hard job. Lay the clock face down on a soft cloth, and bend the crimped tabs back with pliers. lift the housing clear of the face plate and glass. remove the screw from the back cover, then the next two screws will allow you to take the movement from the rear housing. I checked with a multi meter, and found intermittent contact at the contacts that power the winding solenoid. I cleaned the contacts, and used a jewelers oiler to lube what I thought were the critical points and reassembled. I also had to bend the arm, indicated by the arrow, down a slight bit to get a bit more tension on the contacts, Be gentle. Second summer since the DIY and still ticking. The only thing I should have done, was to set the clock in the normal vertical position, power it up with 6V and run it for a few days to calibrate the speed. It gains about 2 or 3 minutes a day.

woodiewagon46    -- 09-16-2020 @ 6:44 AM
  You're on the right track with using clock oil. I have restored several antique clocks and the worst thing people can do is to use WD-40 or some other type of lubricant. I once had a clock that had not run since the 1920's as far as anyone could remember. I oiled it and let it sit for a few days. Rewound it and it has been running ever since. Give it a try you have nothing to loose.

sarahcecelia    -- 09-16-2020 @ 3:57 PM
  Where can "Clock Oil be obtained???

Regards, Steve Lee

51woodie    -- 09-17-2020 @ 3:38 AM
  Steve. I bought mine from a jeweler that services and repairs clocks.( not all do). Amazon lists many oils. if you deal with the big A. Also, if you google clock oils, there are listing there, as well as You Tube videos like the one attached.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ithFb8NH1zw

wmsteed    -- 09-18-2020 @ 9:18 AM
  I have a very good friend that services and rebuilds vintage clocks, auto, table top, grandfather, etc. My friend uses Mobile 1 oil as does most of the clock people he knows.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

woodiewagon46    -- 09-18-2020 @ 12:38 PM
  wmsteed, you are correct. There was some talk about using Mobil 1 for clocks on the National Association of Watch and Clock Collector web site some time ago. I still use the clock oil though, it's in a small pocket size tube with a 4" needle tip that makes it very handy.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14167