Topic: Electric fuel pump

Mark46-48    -- 09-01-2020 @ 12:42 PM
  A while back there was a discussion about adding an electric fuel pump, which I would like to do on my '48 SD Coupe. As I recall, someone asked the member who posted the inquiry whether he intended to replace the mechanical pump or just use the electric pump for starting. My question is: if using it just for starting, how do you wire it? Do you use a separate switch or do you connect it to the starter button?

51woodie    -- 09-01-2020 @ 1:52 PM
  The one on my '46 Coupe is powered through a fused wire, connected at the lighting circuit breaker, to a on/off toggle under the left side of the dash. The pump is mounted on the left frame rail, just ahead of the axle. Some will suggest that an inertia switch should be installed to open the circuit in case of an accident. I only use mine to "prime" if the car has been sitting for a few weeks. Make sure the pump you buy is a low pressure "flow though" type, as some types will not pass fuel if it is not turned on. If you have 6 V neg. ground, the + wire of the pump grounds to the frame and the - connects to the switched power supply.

Mark46-48    -- 09-01-2020 @ 3:29 PM
  Thanks for your help.

Jacques1960    -- 09-05-2020 @ 6:29 PM
  I have a similar 6v “prime only” electric pump on my 38 wagon - a game changer which I wish I had incorporated into prior projects.

51woodie    -- 09-06-2020 @ 7:41 AM
  Mark46. Just went back to look at posts, and when I looked at the picture I posted of the fuel pump, it is upside down! It isn't in my photos, so the pic got turned when it was posted. If you can, save it, then rotate 180 to get a better understanding. The filter is on the inlet side of the pump.

I've noticed that sometimes a pic I post gets turned 90 deg., but this is my first 180. Does anyone know why some pics get turned?

The other two are turned 90 deg CCW. I would like to know why?

This message was edited by 51woodie on 9-6-20 @ 7:43 AM

supereal    -- 09-20-2020 @ 12:23 PM
  A good choice for an electric fuel pump is the AirTex sold by C&G (800/266-0470). They stock both 6 and 12 volt types. Wire it to the accessory pole on the ignition switch through a toggle switch at the dash. Some recommend a spring type switch, but if you need the pump to get home, holding it on is difficult. I use mine to fill the carb after the car sits for a time. It can also aid in hot starts if there is evaporation from "heat sink" under the hood.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14127