Topic: 1949 12v conversion question

cwaszczyk    -- 08-09-2020 @ 1:57 PM
  Is it cheaper to cheaper to piece items or just order everything in a kit?

trjford8    -- 08-09-2020 @ 2:15 PM
  Are you converting to 12 volt and wondering about a wiring harness? There is no such "kit" to do a complete 12 volt conversion.

carcrazy    -- 08-09-2020 @ 2:45 PM
  Read up on this conversion before you begin the actual work. There is good information available on the internet and in Randy Rundle's (785-632-3450) "The Official 12-Volt Conversion Guide".
Shop around for the parts required as there are vast differences in the prices. If you are not concerned with appearances, the best and least expensive alternator to use is a GM 10 SI model which will provide 63 Amps - sufficient for most applications. In addition to the rebuilt alternator, you will need a special pulley and mounting bracket which are available from multiple sources.

TomO    -- 08-10-2020 @ 7:22 AM
  It is cheaper to fix the problems with your 6 volt system than to change to a 12 volt system.

Tom

cwaszczyk    -- 08-10-2020 @ 9:23 AM
  I wasn’t planning on changing the wiring even though I know I should. Just looking at the packages out there that include the alternator, coil, resistors and other stuff and the cheapest was about 400.00. I prefer the look of the generator over a alternator but other than that it’s mostly for convenience reasons. I’d like some 12v accessories.

carcrazy    -- 08-10-2020 @ 2:33 PM
  You will not need to change your wiring harnesses. The 6V system is more than capable of handling the requirements of the 12V system. If your car has overdrive, the new 12V solenoid for it will cost you about $300. You will want to have your starter rewired for 12V so it won't destroy the starter drive mechanism over time. You will need a GM rebuilt alternator available from Autozone for about $50 plus a $10 core fee. Most of the rest of the items required are minimal in cost. There are many benefits achieved by going to a 12V alternator system utilizing a negative ground. Your headlights will be much brighter, even at idle. You will be able to use modern sound systems, A/C, cruise control and other systems that make long distance drives more pleasant.

This message was edited by carcrazy on 8-10-20 @ 8:24 PM

51504bat    -- 08-10-2020 @ 6:49 PM
  Lots of people run the 6 volt starter after converting to 12 volts, some for years with no issues. You might break a Bendix over time. If you do replace it with the old style not the new style enclosed ones.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14057