Topic: water pump/ over heating

gunner    -- 08-05-2020 @ 3:05 AM
  I have a 1948 8N Ford tractor with a 1948 flathead ford v8 engine. It over heats after 20 minuets of driving on a tractor drive. Radiator is to small and I cannot make it any bigger. I mounted a second radiator on the side with a electric fan. I tapped into the right water pump by taking out the 3/8 plug and used 3/4 heater hose to the second radiator. My question is the plug I took out a exit port or a return port? The reason I ask is because while the engine is running no water comes out of the hose until I drop the end of the hose below the top of the radiator. Gunner

gunner

TomO    -- 08-05-2020 @ 6:32 AM
  Water enters the block from the bottom and exits the block from the top. I have never seen a stock 1948 V-8 water pump with a 3/8" plug, so I cannot give a definite answer to your question.

Tom

Bill E Bob    -- 08-05-2020 @ 8:06 AM
  Speculation more than anything, but wouldn't it be better to tap into both water pumps as the block coolant does not communicate from side to side, hence the 2 water pumps? Seems you might end up with one side of the block running cooler than the other?

Aim low--Achieve your goals.

carcrazy    -- 08-05-2020 @ 9:51 AM
  As mentioned before, water from the radiator enters the engine at the bottom and flows up through it and out the heads back to the radiator. You might have the best results by bringing the water out of the engine through the tapped outlets at the top of the cylinder heads. You could use a tee connector to combine the flow from the two heads to go to your auxiliary radiator. Does your main radiator have an electric puller fan mounted behind it? If not, and you have the room to mount one, I highly recommend the use of one. It should be mounted near the top of the radiator for maximum effectiveness.

This message was edited by carcrazy on 8-5-20 @ 9:54 AM

gunner    -- 08-05-2020 @ 1:06 PM
  I do have a puller electric fan on the main radiator. I was pulling water out of the right water pump through 10 ft. of 1" copper tubing with aluminum fins mounted on the belly of the tractor. That tubing came out of a old school boiler class room heater. After that failed I added the second radiator with a electric fan on the side. I have heat gauges for each side. Actually the right side where I am tapped into runs 2 degrees warmer than the left side? Yesterday I added a electric Bosh water pump in line. I also drilled and tapped into the left pump and put in a 3/8 pipe and now I am running my water from both sides of the motor. It did help some. It is going to get to 90 degrees soon and I will try it out. I will see if I can find the outlets on the head and maybe as one of you suggested tap into those. Maybe my engine is not a 48? but it does have a plug on the right side water pump. If the pump is working it should shoot water out the hose. Right? Maybe that is my whole problem? No leaks or wobbles. If it is not working than the propeller has to be loose on the shaft? Thanks for your help. If you have any more ideas I am all ears. Gunner

gunner

40cpe    -- 08-05-2020 @ 1:20 PM
  When I have seen hot water heaters connected to the water pump, the pump is the return connection. I agree to use the threaded connections on the top of the heads as input for the 2nd radiator. If you have the threaded bosses on the pumps, use them for the return lines from your auxiliary radiator.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14044