Topic: Dual Exhaust & Mufflers

42Flattman    -- 07-08-2020 @ 11:02 AM
  '42 Tudor Sedan......was thinking I would like to put on 2" dual exhaust....(or possibly 1-3/4") using the stock manifolds if possible....and running the tailpipes all the way to the bumper......looking for feedback from those that have maybe done this already and how difficult with some of the clearance issues I have heard about.
Also, I am pretty sure I have decided on either Brockman Mellowtones or Cherry Bomb's so I would be interested in some thoughts on that if you care to share.
Thanks !

therunwaybehind    -- 07-08-2020 @ 11:41 AM
  I knew a man in 1961 who built an dual exhaust system for his 1934 Ford Tudor using galvanized plumbing pipe and 45 degree angles and elbows with Gambles hard ware store glass paks. His engine was a stock V-8 flathead and that is why I have replied. The thickness of the pipe gave a very pleasant very appropriate sound to his flathead. Now if I were to say you should have the tailpipes exit laterally close to each other so on a cold day the vapor exhaust would swirl contra-rotating to each other that would be very 1942.

42Flattman    -- 07-08-2020 @ 12:24 PM
  Well.... that's not a reply I was expecting .....definitely different .....thanks for the interesting story though. (perhaps it was you who did this ??)

mfirth    -- 07-08-2020 @ 1:16 PM
  It can be done, you need to fabricate a j or u shaped pipe with flange comming off of the drivers side manifold. The block off the cross over exit on the passenger side manifold then complete to the rear of the car. Much better to install cast headders desinged for duals. I have used Red's Headders [tubular] on two different cars & they were great, but cast ones can be had too. Post this on The Ford Barn, lots of help there too.
mike

carcrazy    -- 07-08-2020 @ 1:44 PM
  Shop around in your area for a good exhaust fabrication shop and have them install the complete exhaust system for you. It will be more expensive than doing the job yourself but will save you lots of time and frustration. They will solve the clearance problems for you.

42guy    -- 07-08-2020 @ 3:26 PM
  I used Red's headers and Brockman mufflers. They will make any size and length . I love the tone of them. I have seen the set up for using the stock manifolds once in a while on E bay.

42Flattman    -- 07-08-2020 @ 5:48 PM
  That sounds like probably the best option....let a professional do his thing and save me the headache
Thanks !

TomO    -- 07-08-2020 @ 6:31 PM
  Go with the 1 3/4" pipes. The 2" pipes may interfere with the clutch.

Tom

42Flattman    -- 07-09-2020 @ 7:29 AM
  1 3/4" it is.....Thanks !

50CaPU    -- 07-10-2020 @ 4:55 PM
  I had 1 3/4” steel pipes done at a local shop, i supplied 18” steel packs from Mac VanPelt. The pipes were a bit more than a kit but the tucked in really well and looked like they belonged. It had a nice mellow sound. Dyno test showed headers are not necessary so I used stock single outlet manifolds. I think they were from late 40s flathead.

Tim
Downtown, Ca

This message was edited by 50CaPU on 7-10-20 @ 5:03 PM

1934 Ford    -- 07-21-2020 @ 3:01 PM
  I use the dual cherry bombs on my 34's with 1 3/4 pipes. Very mellow sounds. I put one on my 35 Pickup, no duals. Nice sound too. Had stock exhausts on the 34 Phaeton and couldn't hear it. My 2 cents.

1934 Ford's since 1972

wmsteed    -- 07-22-2020 @ 9:26 AM
  I have had 1-3/4" pipes, stock log manifolds with stock type chambered mufflers on my '36 since 1955'. Prior to the change in '55 I had Douglas steel packs, got tired of the noise.
The engine in my Ford is a very well built 59AB, Weber cam, .60 overbore and modified stock heads.. The original dual exhaust system was an off the shelf J.C. Whittney mail order system.
I had a custom muffler shop build the existing system using chambered mufflers that would fit within the chassis.. There is a slight rumble to the pipes on idle, just enough to hear the cam over-lap..
I used my '36 for daily transportation for many years, have driven the car over 94k, I like stealth in lieu of 'look at me'.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

supereal    -- 07-25-2020 @ 11:56 AM
  It takes an artist with a pipe bender to fabricate the left side head pipe. It requires threading it through so the clutch pedal is not affected. The only advantage to dual
exhaust, in my opinion, is the mellow sound of two glass pack mufflers.

wmsteed    -- 07-26-2020 @ 10:21 AM
  Many people equate noise to power, ie: straight pipes, gutted mufflers, etc.. An open exhaust, headers, are noisy and do not start to do the job they are intended to do until the engine gets up to 3,000 rpm's or above.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13990