Topic: 1935 Standard Coupe Rear Shocks

N448L    -- 06-30-2020 @ 11:54 AM
  I am a first time user and this is my first post. My 35 Standard Coupe has shocks for each wheel. The front two are the round Model A type. but each of the rear is a horizontal casting of two tubes (one above the other). The top tube has a large circular cover with a hex bolt type face that is designed to remove the cover. The bottom tube does not have a removable cover on the front, but a like cover on the bottom front. This cover is also designed to be removed, however mine is on so tight that without undue force I cannot remove the bottom one on either the left rear or right rear shock. The right rear shock top tube is full of fluid. The left rear shock top tube is empty.

I have not been able to find anything written on this type of shock. The right shock top tube is full of fluid (I presume 10 weight mineral oil, however this is only a guess as I do not think it would be brake fluid)

On the back of the shocks at the top of the to tube is a square nut plug that is removable and I have been able to remove and reinstall this threaded plug on both shocks.

The left shock has had the shock arm nut removed and the the end of the spline shaft beat on to prevent removal of the shaft. The right shock has a nut on the spline shaft and the nut can be removed.

When I manually lift the left rear of the car up and down repeatedly by the top of the fender at the wheel well, there seems to be no shock function. Doing the same on the right rear fender, there is almost no movement. It is like the left shock has no fluid and the right shock too much fluid so the left shock is essentially doing nothing and the right shock is locked up.

What little written information I have been able to find tells me that apparently 1935 was the first year for this two tube rear shock design and not all 35 vehicles came with this style shock. Others came with the Model A type round shocks, but the shocks are interchangeable. I think the way it is supposed to work is fluid transfers from one tube to another through an orifice and the direction of fluid movements depends on whether the shock arm is moving up or down thus dampening the axle/wheel movement.

I do not think the shock tubes are supposed to both be filled as it appears to be on the right shock but it should have more fluid that is in the left shock. I have no idea what the fluid level should be, type of fluid or how to load fluid into the shock. I suspect that the removable plugs at the top rear of the shocks is where fluid is added.

Please help me to understand how these shocks are supposed to work and direction to any written material and diagrams on these shocks.

Also, I had the car restored by what was represented as a "professional restoration shop," however given all the things I have found wrong on the car, I don't think it was too "professional." One of the things is the small arm to which the end of the rear shock arm attaches. With the car sitting on the ground the short arm was sitting on the back of the axle tub to spring mounting bracket and showed some wear. This was true for both rear shock arms. I removed the shocks from the frame and positioned the small arm so that it is vertical to and below the shock arm but also vertical and above the axle to spring mounting bracket. This means with the car on the ground, moving car body up and down does not cause this small arm to touch the axle to spring mounting bracket. A picture would be worth most of these words, but I am presently more than 350 miles from the car so cannot take a picture.

Anyway, I sure will appreciate any help that any of you can provide.

Gordon Mortin

3w2    -- 06-30-2020 @ 12:29 PM
  You did not mention where you read that the shocks you describe were used by Ford on some of its '35 model production, but I think that you have been misled. '35 rear shocks were the same basic design as those used by Ford since the '33 model year, at least in North American vehicle production, with relatively minor changes in the capacity, casting configuration, and form of adjustment model year by model year. I believe what you have are non-Ford aftermarket shocks.

nelsb01    -- 06-30-2020 @ 1:23 PM
  Here is a picture of 4 rear Ford shocks. These are for 1936 --
There is a large hole in the frame back from the rear axle. The shocks mount on the inside of the frame, and shock arms attach to the square shaft and then to a shock link.

Hope this helps.

N448L    -- 06-30-2020 @ 4:08 PM
  I read it in my book of early Ford V8 Bulletins. It describes the shocks as new for 1935 and that the old style was used on some 35 cars but they are interchangeable with the old style. These are mounted on my car outside the frame.

I am the fourth owner since new on this car. First man purchased it in 1935 and drove it until 1969 when he died and his wife traded the car to his doctor in return for the Dr.'s bills. He gave the car to his son in 1971 who put it up on blocks. The car was never driven again until I purchased it in about 1996 or 1997. I cannot find anything on after market shocks that look like these. I will be back to where the car is in a couple of weeks and will take and post pictures along with excerpts from the bulletin.

N448L    -- 06-30-2020 @ 4:12 PM
  Those are like the front shocks on my 35. However the back ones are as described in my post. These mount outside the frame through the hole in the frame you mentioned. I will take pictures in a couple of weeks when I return to where the car is located and post them.

The fact that neither of the two reply's so far have never heard of these shocks, at least gives me some comfort that there is a reason I have not been able to find any information on them.

nelsb01    -- 06-30-2020 @ 4:13 PM
  Pictures will certainly help.

N448L    -- 07-19-2020 @ 10:23 AM
  Below are some pictures of my rear shocks. As you can see they are not the round ones more commonly seen.

40 Coupe    -- 07-19-2020 @ 12:25 PM
  It is clear in your photos your shocks are Delco. They did not make the shocks for Ford, Houdaille did. In 1933 the rear shock had a smaller diameter body than the 34. The 34 shock is Very similar to the 35-6 rear shock with some of the difference in the fill plug . You can see the proper 35-6 rear shock above photo the two shocks on the right. You may find some Delco info in an early Chiltons manual

39 Ken    -- 07-20-2020 @ 5:52 AM
  What you have on your '35 are Delco Lovejoy shock absorbers.
They were a common replacement for the original shocks back in the
day by "hot rodders", etc. I had a set on my on my first car, a '35 Ford convertible.
In my opinion, they are a superior design when compared to the Houdaille
shocks that came as original equipment for your Ford. They can be rebuilt.
Use the search function or better yet, Google "lovejoy shock absorbers". I know that they have been discussed on the Hamb and the Ford barn. Google will find the threads.
Just my opinion, I would have them rebuilt and find a set to mount on the front, an expensive option, but worth it.
Ken

N448L    -- 07-20-2020 @ 2:22 PM
  Thank you all!! I spoke to Apple Hydraulics today and they told me these shocks are Delco after market shocks and that they can rebuild them. They also confirmed that the proper position of the arm with the car sitting on the pavement is the 3 inch pickup link should be vertical and the shock arm approximately parallel to the ground.
This all makes complete sense to me.

I will not get back to the car location until November, so will likely be December before I get these off and shipped to Apple Hydraulics for repair and back on the car.

Gordon Mortin

flatheadfan    -- 07-22-2020 @ 8:05 AM
  As mentioned, you probably have Lovejoy shocks. If you are not aiming at a 100-point car, Lovejoy shocks are the way to go. Super conformable and need no frame of axle modification. They just bolt on without any changes. They are basically indestructible and are easy to rebuild. From a historical standpoint these were the shocks of choice by the rumrunners of year’s goneby that kept the revenuers at bay.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13960