Topic: 1937 Ford Pickup Coupe Model 81A

cherokeeman34    -- 05-25-2020 @ 9:11 PM
  I have what Ford Motors says is the rarest Ford Car Ever, it is a 1937 Ford Pickup Coupe Model 81A. Ford sent me info on it and according to archive material only 14 of these were ever produced and I've searched for 40 years to try to locate another in existence with no luck. This one I have has a unique Military History and Charles Michael Bowman was a Naval Flight Commander at Pearl Harbor where this car was at, it was painted Gelatin Silver and it was used by Naval Supply to run small aircraft parts to the maintenance hangers and at times transported Officers to the Hangers. This car was at Pearl Harbor when it was bombed by the Japanese, the car survived but has a dent over top of the drivers side windshield where a piece of a girder struck it but did not break the windshield, the fenders and hood were struck by flying debris which caused numerous dents, surprising no bullet holes !! During the aftermath and cleanup of the bombing Commander Bowman acquired the vehicle by purchasing it as salvage from the Navy. Up on retirement Commander Bowman decided to go home to Lebanon, PA and had the car moved to his home. The car ran beautifully he said and he was going to give it to one of his sons which sadly never happened as he lost both his Sons in Vietnam. I found this vehicle by sheer luck on my way to the sprint car races and driving through the country side spotted it sitting inside a corn crib barn so I stopped and went to the door and a distinguished man answered the door and I ask him if the 37 Ford in the barn was for sale, he said "son, you are the first person that has ever stopped and asked about it and then he proceeded to tell me story of it in full and it was quiet a story of Pearl Harbor which I loved hearing about, after he finished the story he said let me get you the keys and you can go start it up and look at it, Wow start it? He handed me the keys and said he started it about once a week and let her run. So I went out to the vehicle and was dying to see this "Pickup Coupe", there it was sure enough it was a Pickup Coupe, I had no idea these things even existed !!! I started her up and she purred like a kitten amazing !! I put it in gear and it actually runs great. I looked at all the dings and dents in the fenders and hood and over the windshield, nothing major and all repairable so I went back to the porch and sat down and asked Mr Bowman if he would be willing to sell it and then I got another story of his sons and could tell he missed them greatly and I expressed my condolences for his losses. He looked up at me and smiled and said to me " I bought this as Naval salvage and paid $13.00 for it, he said I figure its worth a little more now" I said well sir give me a price if you will sell it to me, he said I'll take $250.00 for it if that was good with me and smiled, I said yes sir that is fine with me so I got three one hundred dollar bills out of my wallet and said here is $250.00 for the car and $50.00 for a couple of dinners for you as I enjoyed the history lesson of Pearl Harbor First Hand and also thanked him for his service to the country. I carry my tow bar everywhere I go just in case I find a car. Needless to say I skipped the races and drove home with this car and put her into the garage where she has been for 50 years as I bought her in 1970.
Now is the delima how much is this pickup coupe really worth restored ????? I collected 37 parts all my life and built several 37's, I have a complete NOS Front End for this vehicle, I have NOS Rear Fenders, a NOS Hood and Deck Lid which it never had. The cab body is solid no rust at all just a dent over the windshield fro the bombing. So if anyone out there could by chance give me their input on what they think this vehicle may be worth fully restored, its what seems the only one of 14 left in existence . I removed the front end and pulled the engine and sent to H&H for a total overhaul but it ran just fine !! I can make this car as good as the day off the assembly line as I have all the NOS OEM parts to do it. Guys give me some in put.

MG    -- 05-25-2020 @ 11:29 PM
  Seems to me there was an article with pictures in the V8 Times several years back about sedans and coupes being equipped with pickup beds/boxes.....

juergen    -- 05-26-2020 @ 6:10 AM
  You say it is a Model 81A? That would make it a 1938 Ford. What is the number on the frame? and the title? If I remember right, the pickup box was an accessory, so that the model number for the car would be the same and the box easily fitted into any coupe.

So what you have is a conventional Ford coupe with the rare pickup box accessory. I would then think the value would be the value of the coupe plus the value of the box. Hard to say what the box is worth with so few built. Would two bidders go crazy to get this rare accessory? The value of the coupe could be surmised from value guides, although with the present recession, buyers are cautious and so prices on non-exotic vehicles are down.

cpipp01@aol.com    -- 05-26-2020 @ 6:51 AM
  Photo from “AS Henry Built It”

MG    -- 05-26-2020 @ 10:43 AM
  Way to go 'cpipp01'!....

TomO    -- 05-27-2020 @ 7:41 AM
  Is it just me that finds reading a long dissertation without breaks for paragraphs hard to read. When I see posts like this, I get lost reading them and give up.

Tom

kubes40    -- 05-27-2020 @ 8:12 AM
  TomO, It is not just you.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

39 Ken    -- 05-28-2020 @ 4:33 AM
  I agree with TomO and Kube. However, in this case I did persevere and I'm glad I did. Great story!
At least, he used punctuation and caps as is often not the case...;>))
Ken

ford38v8    -- 05-28-2020 @ 8:39 AM
  Yes, a great story, and perhaps a most interesting car to present on any Concourse, unrestored. If the owner believes the story, that's fine, but doubtful if many others could believe it without that key to greatness, provenance. Failing that, the history is only a story, but the car, with the pickup accessory remains unique and in my opinion, should never be restored.

Alan

bw3240    -- 05-28-2020 @ 7:24 PM
  HI Cherokeeman

I find your little Ford to be a fascinating look into history. The car speaks for itself. If it were to be restored it would be just another restored old car. If the dents etc. are from its time at Pearl Harbor, this is something that can never be duplicated. I have great respect for those who take the effort to do a correct restoration. But, in the long view the car is much more interesting with its evidence of its use at such an important event in American history. Put it back together, make it run, and show the car as a testament to the boys at Pearl Harbor.
As far as value, if your concern is financial, the cost of a restoration will not be recovered when the car is sold. I am confident that it would sell for a higher price as a preserved survivor rather than a restored car from the 1930s. The few younger people I know who love old V8s would not give a second look to a restored 37 coupe, but would be fascinated and thrilled to see it drive up to an event as a ghost from the past.

TomO    -- 05-29-2020 @ 7:24 AM
  I tried again and finally made my way through the original post. It is a very interesting story and the current owner should make attempts to verify it. Search the internet for photos of the Naval base in Hawaii from 1938-1947 to see if you can find photos of the car at the base with it unusual paint scheme. I would also research Commander Bowman's history and make sure that you have a copy of his involvement with your car.

If it were my car, I would not restore it. The story that goes with the unrestored car loses it impact when the car is restored. I would do things to preserve the car from rust and further damage.

As to value, I would not be able to venture a guess what it would be worth in either restored or as found condition. Most of the unrestored value come from the story and the restored value will come from its rarity and demand for 1937 Fords. If it is a 38 Coupe, it would be worth slightly less according to the Old Cars Report Price Guide.

https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/news/old-cars-report-price-guides-gift-to-you

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-30-2020 @ 7:50 AM
  37 COUPE,, Model 78 if it is a 81A it is a 1938 MODEL,[ more photos, needed to tell which year it is,,]
with out seeing the nose it, can not tell which year,
Very Interesting story for sure,
I have been to PEARL HARBOR about 5 years ago, a Very Very Solemn place for sure,
they are still burying sailors that were on the ARIZONA ,
I was wondering why after 50 years, that this 37 coupe is going to be restored. 50 years, !
it would have make a great parade car on MEMORIAL DAY,, VETERAN DAY. 4th of JULY
and at car shows, for many years, bringing back memories,for many people,and VETS,that SERVED ,
as for restoring it, I would say it would cost more then it might sell it for, but is still would be nice to have,
if cost is no object,
not unless the owner was going to restore it,, but in a shop with the hourly rate, a no no,
as is complete maybe a MILITARY MUSEUM would really like to display it,
my 2 cents 37Ragtopman

39 Ken    -- 05-30-2020 @ 10:16 AM
  The Early Ford V8 Club Album, published in 1985 has an extensive write-up on pages 100 and 101.

It includes a copy of the Factory Sales Letter dated February 8, 1937. The letter states that the new "Pick up box" will be available
in about 10 days on the 770-A Coupe with either the 60 or 85 H.P. motor.

The nomenclature, dealer cost and retail prices:

Standard 74-830 * $518 * $567.50
Standard 78-830 * $558 * $608.50
Deluxe 78-830 * $603 * $671.50

No explanation as to why the coupe/pickup had a 1938 identifier
but the photos and diagrams are definitely 1937 as is the OP's car.

As already mentioned, that is definitely a candidate to get running for the road (brakes, tires, electrics, motor, etc.) but maintained as an original with all the patina that has accrued over the decades.

I can't copy and post those two pages from the "Album" here on the forum. Hopefully someone here can. It's interesting.

Ken

This message was edited by 39 Ken on 5-30-20 @ 10:19 AM

cpipp01@aol.com    -- 05-31-2020 @ 8:27 AM
  From V8 Club Album.

cherokeeman34    -- 06-01-2020 @ 7:28 PM
  well I'm looking for the letter and pictures Commander Bowman gave me, my wife died from Leukemia and I'm still going through stuff and finding things, I have the letter he wrote to me and also the pictures of the car at Pearl Harbor in the aftermath, its got some very good history and I just don't know if I should restore it or put the engine back in it and put the front end back on as is like I got it and like it was at Pearl Harbor. I've got pictures of Commander Bowman standing next to it at Pearl Harbor in the aftermath of the bombing. So I really don't know which way to go and what its really worth.

Thanks, Jimmy

efv8CofAAdmin    -- 06-01-2020 @ 8:59 PM
  I would like to recommend that when you find the pictures, letters and other paperwork, that you spend a night and write down the story and send it to our editor of our award winning magazine, The V-8 TIMES.
These are stories that will be lost over time and being that this one is interesting and has documentation it is all the more important.
You can contact the V-8 TIMES editor at v8time@cox.net

Thank you for sharing the story -- and condolenses on the loss of your wife.

Web Administrator

TomO    -- 06-02-2020 @ 7:46 AM
  My condolences on losing your wife.

With the documentation that you have, the car would appeal to Ford collectors, WWII memorabilia collectors, and general history collectors. This is a much wider audience than a restored car would have.

Another option is to bring it back to the "as found" condition and then donate it with the documentation to a museum, where it could educate and be enjoyed by many people.

The story of the car does belong in the V-8 Times. It is too important to lose.

Tom

v8teditor    -- 06-02-2020 @ 12:56 PM
  I have been following the comments here about your 1937 Coupe and the rare Pickup box accessory. Hopefully you'll find the paperwork and photos to verify the car's history and I definitely would be interested in it for the V-8 TIMES. Keep me posted.

v8fordman    -- 08-13-2020 @ 5:12 PM
  Cherokeeman34, I am truly amazed with your story and the history of your pickup be for a coupe. If you look back at V8 Times, you will find an article that I did concerning my coupe bed. At the time, I asked for any knowledge of another existing one and never heard from anyone. I am glad another one exists. I have the factory blueprints from The Henry Ford archives. I would be interested in seeing the documentation that only 14 were produced. That in itself is truly amazing, but as you have probably noticed, the bed itself was made from bits and pieces of a factory bed that were reduced to meet the needs of such a low production number. The true distinguishing features are the special covers that allow the bed to slide into the trunk area. Anyway, you have a great story with your bed while mine just came from an auction sale in Colorado.

v8teditor    -- 08-21-2020 @ 9:09 AM
  can you send me your email address.i have a member with info about the pickup bed accessory.

jerry windle
V-8 TIMES EDITOR

56MarkII    -- 08-21-2020 @ 7:30 PM
  I too have ended up being told I did the same thing on another forum but using a lousy old smart phone which in my case is a Crapple diePhone 5C and posting on forums with this POC is like sending a text message LOL!
Paragraph number two(LMAO):
The story was more than a great contribution to this forum and I never even knew these pickup box accessories existed along with the fact I am looking at a 1938 Ford Deluxe Coupe that is for sale in my area!
It has a poorer quality older restoration including improper upholstery material but still has the original mechanical brakes, is very stock and totally unmolested or modified!
Given this now I'm pondering on the value as it's on an online auction.

TomO    -- 08-22-2020 @ 8:15 AM
  You can go to the Old Cars Weekly web site and look at their price guide to get an idea of what you want to pay for the car. At the end of the transaction a car is worth what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller at a certain time.

An example is that I want $50,000 for my car and you want to pay $25,000. After negotiations we agree on $38,000. Two day after the transaction is completed, I receive an offer for $40,000. The car is still worth $38,000 because I don't have it for sale and cannot complete the transaction.

Tom

Tl51    -- 05-09-2021 @ 12:49 PM
  Does anyone have any more information on this type of car? is it a production or an option?

v8fordman    -- 04-19-2024 @ 7:15 PM
  It is with regret that I have to report that this car and its story have now faded into streetrod history. I tried to buy it, and contemplated one day too long after I looked at it. I didn’t need another project (don’t many of us have that problem) but my wife finally convinced me to go ahead and buy it. I called the owner (not the original poster. He had sold it) to purchase it and as luck would have it…the newest owner was leaving with it on a trailer while I was on the phone. Oh well. Good news though!!! I was able to buy the bed with all the brackets. My plan is to put it in an unrestored, original coupe and drive it while telling the story of the bed. BTW-I am now the proud owner of two of these beds. I would say I have the market cornered. Lol

This message was edited by v8fordman on 4-19-24 @ 7:18 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13862