Topic: Running board prep

bill41ford    -- 05-24-2020 @ 5:12 AM
  I did rust repair work on my 41 coupe boards - ready for finishing, I have Vintique covers that fit great dry. I have read all kinds of suggestions for prep of top of boards - boards were blasted and look good ,but do have some pitting that is still solid metal - I will need some filler work to smooth tops before putting on covers - question is do I need to neutralize bottom of pits with eastwood rust encapsulator under filler, than 2k epoxy or 2k epoxy over surface than filler, than epoxy over filler than attach covers. I have seen every combination of what to do first - just confusing at this point. The rest of the body is similar, some good metal, some repaired areas, some pitted and blasted areas - I have the same questions about the rest of the body prep - I generally use Eastwood products because of availability. Hope to hear some helpful responses to get me going toward finishing this next step in my rebuilding process.

therunwaybehind    -- 05-24-2020 @ 8:33 AM
  I learned two things about epoxy resins after they came out in the 50's. 1) they are hydroscopic so avoid foggy or humid days and especially rain an hour after. 2) they have poor tensile strength and very good shear strength so the hope to fill pits is not what would be hoped for. Glue two things together face to face with a film and they are rugged. Try to join two things end to end and they are fragile. Not nothing, but don't drop the finished assembly. This I did not find out until 1977 when I built a 6 foot long radio controlled plywood ground effects machine and used epoxy to join wooden ribs at a 90 degree angle to a thin copper tube as an axle for a rear wing flap. Oh, my first use? To fill in upper grille bar holes where the cast zinc piece that faced them was broken. My first signal I needed to go get a usable piece to restore the front end of my Ford. Yes! That is where the rain came out of a blue sky after. The fiberglass cloth and epoxy got mushy over a period of time.

TomO    -- 05-25-2020 @ 6:57 AM
  I would clean the pits by abrasion or chemical converter, then use a professional grade body filler to fill the pits and then epoxy sealer to seal the boards under the rubber. I would paint the back with a good urethane black paint. Use paints from the same manufacturer as mixing brands of paint and primer can lead to paint failure.

I haven't used Eastwood Rust Encapsulator since I fires tried it around 2000. I found that it was hard to sand and feel better when there is no rust under my paint.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13853