Topic: Danger: Jack Stands Recall

Grant    -- 05-21-2020 @ 5:06 PM
  This recall notice came to me earlier today about dangerous 3 ton and 6 ton jack stands which were sold by Harbor Freight.

Do you have one ..... or a pair ....... or a set of four ...... in your shop?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a32600586/harbor-freight-jack-stands-recalled-for-risk-of-collapsing/

supereal    -- 05-22-2020 @ 8:26 AM
  Proving once again here is no such thing as good cheap tools!

TomO    -- 05-23-2020 @ 7:48 AM
  There used to be. I have a JC Penny floor jack that is over 50 years old and works fine. I have some Craftsman hand tools that are over 60 years old. You cannot say that about a lot of the tools available today.

Tom

supereal    -- 05-25-2020 @ 10:28 AM
  Sears stores are gone, and the Craftsman brand has been sold, so it appears the days when my friend TomO and I started out are gone. In those days, if you broke a tool, Sears replaced it without charge, and the price was right for us beginners. My first set, now 70 years old, still resides in my big tool box, and survived the years my sons were learning to be the fine mechanics they are today. Now, Snap On and other top brands get the most use in our shop. If you plan a professional career, or just admire quality, buy the best tools available you can afford. You will not be sorry.

TomO    -- 05-26-2020 @ 7:04 AM
  The Craftsman wrenches used to be made in Chicago by the same manufacturer that made SK professional tools. I think that they also made the Proto tools. Somewhere around 2000 the manufacture of Craftsman tools was shipped overseas and shopped around to different manufacturers. Then the brand was sold to raise money to keep Sears in business.

The Snap On and Mac tools are the ones that professional mechanics use today. Some of the popularity of the Snap on Brand is the payment plan and the warranty, which is the best in the business. The other reasons to use them is that they fit the nuts and bolts and your hands better than other manufacturer hand tools.

I agree with Supereal's post. His statement "buy the best tools that you can afford" is especially important in these days when you have no idea of the standards used to check the quality of the tools. I believe that SK and Proto are still made in the USA. They can be bought for less money than Snap On and are about the same quality of the Craftsman tools used to be. They fit the nuts and bolts well, but are shorter and do not give the same leverage as SnapOn.

Tom

therunwaybehind    -- 05-26-2020 @ 9:06 AM
  What you left out is that Mac and Snap-on are sold by operator-dealers out of their own trucks that visit places where mechanics work. Unless one lives in your neighborhood and you can walk over to walk through his or her truck you have to depend on a hardware store or Lowes or Home Depot for tools. My first ratchet wrench was a Wizard and it was a 1/2 inch though professionals favored 3/8 inch drive. I needed it with an extension to work the lug bolts on my Ford as the crank it came with was not good leverage for my young strength. I eventually cracked the deep socket I had bought to also take out spark plugs and I found the neoprene cushioned special spark plug wrenches that came later safer on porcelains. Making $0.50 per hour and working part time was an improvement on the $0.75 or $1.00 I got for mowing lawns and the about $3.00 I got for pedaling papers to an ebb and flow set of news paper subscribers I appreciated the few rough looking sockets a friend gave me including one found in the exhaust pipe of a Model A.

Grant    -- 05-31-2020 @ 4:35 AM
  I agree with the comments being made here about the wisdom of purchasing and using quality tools.

What frightens me about the so-called "Pittsburgh" jack stands is the terrible potential for a tragic occurrence when one of them collapses while somebody is working under their vehicle.

Like for instance, an Early Ford V8 Club Of America member. Or a friend. Or a neighbor.

Perhaps there is a way to pass on the Recall Notice warning to our fellow motorheads?

Could the Regional Group newsletter editors publish something in an upcoming issue?

I suspect that these stands actually came from one of those Pacific Rim foreign countries, where there is a reckless wanton disregard for human life.

If the Recall Notice is correct, there are something like 1,750,000 very dangerous jack stands out there. That's just awful.

Leadfoot    -- 06-03-2020 @ 7:58 AM
  I'm wondering whose other "named" products are produced from the same manufacturer that haven't gotten this recall attention? Torin who supplies their "Big Red" and "Black Steel" brands of 3 and 6 ton jacks look suspiciously similar! Sold through Northern Tool, Lowes, Amazon, and other sites, makes me wonder if the trouble isn't just with Harbor Freight and their house brand "Pittsburgh" jack stands? All made in China, from one supplier?

Stock 1934 Victoria, Dayton Ohio

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-03-2020 @ 8:54 AM
  I bought Hein Werner jack stands in the 1960's, still made TODAY,,,,
still used with no issues,
you can buy them ,
Hein-Werner Blue/Yellow Jack Stands, 3 Ton Capacity (Set of 2)
Hein-Werner HW93506 Blue/Yellow Jack Stands, 6 Ton Capacity (Set of 2
MADE IN USA, on AMAZON,
hope this KEEPS YOU SAFE, 1937RAGTOPMAN NO NEED TO BUY CHINA !

JayChicago    -- 07-07-2020 @ 8:37 AM
  An update from Harbor Freight:

https://em.harborfreight.com/pub/sf/ResponseForm?_ri_=X0Gzc2X%3DAQpglLjHJlYQGjIS6zehh4AknfUUAHzdamGzazboKvzfLzas7SmlLEzeIsDYOoq0zfDSNi1jVXMtX%3DAQpglLjHJlYQGjIS6zehh4AknfUUAHzdamGzajzcq6r9N48vjbIDMYDIAtT186PJfggm&_ei_=ElPDYJQy6-A5MgkuWZ9k6ndiiILlQs5hWB_DwuKZ7aUiwb7_q_XFDgLvXc-rKZZzmBCm&_di_=tb9mqae1rqg7qdglj5akjli8v960al58kpfb8mdp6n9pq27s0llg

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13849