Topic: Fuel gauge calibration

pauls36fordor    -- 05-11-2020 @ 8:39 AM
  The fuel gauge on my 36 Ford didn't work so I replaced the sending unit last year and now it is working fine. However when it is not running the needle sits on empty and when I start the car that needles rises past full and out of sight on the gauge. As I drive the car and and gas is consumed it lowers naturally as it should. But I ran out of gas with the first tankful after replacing the sending unit because the needle was between half and one quarter. So the gauge obviously works but the needle is out of calibration. I suspect that because it goes past full and is empty at about a quarter tank. I followed the direction when I installed the sending unit and it said the float rod should be straight. It seems to me if I put a slight bend in the float rod I should be able to solve the problem. So my question I guess is do you agree or do you think its something else? If I should put a bend in the float rod would the bend point up or down? Thank you in advance, you guys are a wealth of knowledge.

51woodie    -- 05-11-2020 @ 12:38 PM
  Paul. I had a similar problem with my '46 Coupe, as I had an aftermarket sender that the PO installed incorrectly. I struggled with getting it working, then finally found an original King-Sealy sender. The problem is as you described, is that the float arm may not be travelling the full range, as the float is hitting the top and bottom of the tank, the same as mine did. I measured the depth of the tank and sketched the float travel, which showed the problem. The arm has to be "adjusted so it hits the sender stops at top and bottom, before the float hit the top or bottom of the tank. After market senders are not the most accurate, and they take a lot of trial and error to get close readings. Hope this helps.

supereal    -- 05-22-2020 @ 8:34 AM
  The float arm must be bent to adjust the gauge reading to match the fuel level in the tank without being in contact with baffles or other obstructions. If the gauge goes to full and stays there, there is a short in the wire between the sender and the gauge. When we install a repro sender we always place a wire between one of the sender mounting screws on the flange to a known good ground. The repros will never be as sensitive and accurate as the original K-S, but with patience they can come close.

nelsb01    -- 10-03-2020 @ 9:03 PM
  See if this form from Ford in 1951 helps with the calibration. Upon further review (magnifying glass) it is 1961 instead of 1951.

This message was edited by nelsb01 on 10-4-20 @ 7:47 AM

sarahcecelia    -- 10-04-2020 @ 3:08 PM
  If the gauge reads too high, (and yours does) bend the arm UP! {to show less gas,} too low; Bend the arm DOWN!! {to show more gas.}

Think about it; if you bend it up,the float in actuality has to travel further down to touch the fuel, Showing less on the gauge; and the reverse is true when you bend it down.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13821