Topic: Bolting seat to floor on ‘39 coupe

oldfordman    -- 05-07-2020 @ 10:16 AM
  Hello guys,
Need a tip on getting the bolts started into the “pocket” nuts in the floor! The nuts seem to float around in the pocket.
Thanks for your usual great help.
Don

1931 Flamingo    -- 05-08-2020 @ 6:53 AM
  You could try a long drift to center the nuts or chamfer the end of the bolts to center the nuts. Others will chime in I'm sure.
Paul in CT

kubes40    -- 05-08-2020 @ 8:46 AM
  Of course, the caged nuts are supposed to "float". That actually helps locate the bolts.
I'd suggest you get all four bolts started prior to tightening any down.
It's kind of a pain in the butt as there is little room to get your arm in that confined area near the seat. Still, it's been done a zillion times. Patience

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-08-2020 @ 9:36 AM
  oldfordman
are you using new bolts,?or original bolts, and are they correct length
are you sure these are the right treads,same as the nuts,
did you pre install them in the caged nuts,? to see if they fit
it has to be something simple.
try using a tapered drift to line up everything,so they are centered and line up
my 2 cents, 37Ragtopman

oldfordman    -- 05-26-2020 @ 6:39 PM
  Hello all!
Back to the beginning! Before reinstalling the seat, I started all four bolts just to know they would all fit.
Then of course I had to take them out, set the seat in and get the bolts back in! Well, I got the front two in ok and cannot get the back ones started! I have the fronts loose so I can move the seat around, no luck!!
Am I gonna have to take the seat out and start over?
Thanks
Don

kubes40    -- 05-27-2020 @ 6:06 AM
  If the caged nuts on the floor were not moved after you'd initially removed the seat (IE: patch panel welding, etc.) then there is zero reason your seat can't be reinstalled. I've found these can be a little bit of a task due to limited space and my own ability to reach, etc.
I'd suggest, if the nuts were not moved, to ask for help.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-27-2020 @ 7:33 AM
  hi 39 FORD seat
I think the cages were stretched and the nuts wobble around, you could try squeezing the cage with pair of vise grips,
with the bolts in place, while you squeeze the cages, so they line up
or pack with dum dum, might helps,
also making a pair of studs,for the rear, install them, and put seat over them , then remove the studs, and install the bolts,
once the seat is into position
hope this helps 37Ragtopman

TomO    -- 05-27-2020 @ 7:36 AM
  Use a long tapered punch from under the car to line up the rear cage nuts with the seat, then you should be able to start the bolts. If you are not able to line them up this way, you may have the wrong tracks installed on your seat.

I hope that Kubes40 will correct me if I am wrong, but I thought all 1939 coupes had "L" shaped brackets that attached to the floor and the seat tracks attached to those brackets.

Tom

oldfordman    -- 06-28-2020 @ 9:41 AM
  Thanks everyone for your suggestions, your expertise is invaluable.
By moving the seat and using your suggestions, FINALLY got the bolts in!
Everything is original and nothing changed, just needed patience! My hands were not made for the allotted space.

JayChicago    -- 06-28-2020 @ 3:01 PM
  Thanks for posting the follow-up note to let us know how it worked out. Wish everyone would do this, so we can all learn from others' troubles and solutions.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13808