Topic: Brake problem

Dustbowl    -- 04-08-2020 @ 1:56 PM
  The brakes on my 1936 Ford - converted to 39 hydraulics - seem to be in good condition. Good shoes, well adjusted, master cylinder clean, no fluid leaks, hoses good. Pedal stops car well when about half way to floor.

HOWEVER, ever once in a while the pedal goes all the way to the floor and there is very little braking effect. Soon after, the brakes start working normally again.

This has randomly happened three or four times in past week or two of driving. Fortunately, the car coasted to a safe stop in each case but obviously I can't assume this will always happen in the future.

Please suggest where I should start searching for whatever is causing this unpredictable, very unsafe behavior. Thanks

51woodie    -- 04-09-2020 @ 5:28 AM
  How old is the '39 conversion? Did you do the conversion? The first thing that comes to mind is that the brake pedal may not be returning to the fully "released" position. This can happen if the brake return spring is weak, the brake arm bushing is partially seized, or the master cylinder pushrod is adjusted with too little free play between the master cylinder and the brake arm. When the brake pedal is released, the piston in the master cylinder has to come back far enough in the bore to allow the brakes to release, and for more fluid to get in front of the master cylinder piston. An example is, if you stepped on the pedal on the old brake systems without auto adjusters, and it went halfway to the floor, you could "pump" the pedal and you would get a "full" pedal, because more fluid was added to the lines to allow for excess travel at the wheel cylinders. Just my thoughts.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-09-2020 @ 5:45 AM
  hi Brake Problem
is the master cylinder a new one , or just clean ?
if you can get a brake pedal, standing still, apply a little pressure to the bake pedal and see if it goes down,
if it does the fluid is by passing the piston,
maybe assembled wrong ?
and What kind of Brake fluid are you USING,?regular, or silicone ? synthetic ?
I prefer the synthetic works well for me, had 2 REAL bad experiences with the silicone,
I had the same thing happen to me with using silicone brake fluid, that happened to you,
hope this helps, let hear how you made out,
1937Ragtopman

TomO    -- 04-09-2020 @ 6:19 AM
  Your master cylinder is failing. Change it or rebuild it.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13739