Topic: Set Me Straight!

therunwaybehind    -- 04-07-2020 @ 9:42 AM
  Being so old and so wrong is not good. Docents know best. As I looked at the picture of the President's Award car in the latest V8 Times, I was baffled. In my knowledge a 1933 Ford had curved hood louvers and a 1934 had straight. I see straight louvers on page 4?? I also see one horn and one windshield wiper and a five window with a front opening door. In later forms this would mark a Standard and might be similar to the previous year with black trim instead of chrome. I see chrome. Wasn't the grille and bars also dished not straight? The text is very clear as to the provenance of the car. That is what I get for driving my friend's modified car in the 50's. (a 1934 5 window with a Y-block 312 and truck headlights)

therunwaybehind    -- 04-07-2020 @ 9:52 AM
  https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/33-and-34-ford-differences.603370/

MG    -- 04-07-2020 @ 9:10 PM
  Given the lack of clarity of the photo, it does look like a '34.

mfirth    -- 04-08-2020 @ 5:40 AM
  therunwaybehind, a little off topic, but i knew a guy in the early 60s with a 36 coupe that had a 312 with 2 4 barrels in it.
Oh to have some of his stuf today. He had some nice stock Model As too.

therunwaybehind    -- 04-08-2020 @ 8:52 AM
  Apparently, according to the link I found at HAMB The 1933 Fords had 1934 Ford grilles and hoods late in the fall. For the pictured car to also go to the 1933 World's Fair it would also have to have been built before November. There was a 1934 World's Fair but the folks who Sanction exhibitions say the 1935 Fair in Belgium was the official one!

nelsb01    -- 04-08-2020 @ 10:54 AM
  Back in the day --- Worlds Fairs were like Car Shows today. Everyone had one.
According to what I found on the world wide web, there were 5 Worlds Fairs for 1935. Guess you chose which continent you wanted to be on and that could be the official one.
So, yes the Chicago Century of Progress was continued into 1934. And just as successful as 1933 by the way. (You can read about it in a wonderful series of articles in the V-8 TIMES by author Dave Cole)
For the un-educated like myself, the quickest way to tell a 1933 Ford from a 1934 Ford is how many hood handles. Two for 1933 and four for 1934. That's how I learned to tell them apart.
Whether there were running changes -- I will leave that up to the experts.

3w2    -- 04-08-2020 @ 12:58 PM
  With respect, with a magnifying glass and a straight edge along the back of the last louver, that louver is not straight like that of a '34. Further there is a raised lip molding on the front edges of the hood top panels as there should be for a '33 hood whereas '34 hoods do not have that raised molding. The grille is clearly a '33. As you point out, some liberties have been taken over the years with the chrome-plated windshield frame, windshield wiper arm and blade, and horn trumpet. As it is a standard model judging from the lack of cowl lamps, originally those components were body color (the windshield frame) and black (the horn trumpet and windshield wiper components). All '33 and '34 Fords built in North America were equipped with a single windshield wiper. A dealer-installed option of a second windshield wiper slaved externally off the production version windshield wiper was released in 1934.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13736