Topic: EAB Heads on an 8RT Engine

49F-6Dump    -- 04-07-2020 @ 9:05 AM
  Can you install EAB Heads on an 8RT Engine and if so, what are the advantages and problems? Also is it a simple retrofit? I am restoring a 1949 Ford F-6. I have already rebuilt the 8RT Engine with a Mercury Crankshaft and Camshaft. Many Thanks for any advice .

mfirth    -- 04-07-2020 @ 10:29 AM
  EAB heads will up compression a bit, good move & same bolt & torque pattern.

49F-6Dump    -- 04-08-2020 @ 9:54 AM
  Many Thanks for your advice. I was wondering if you could also tell me if there would be any problem with the 8RT Valves and the EAB Heads. I am assuming that the valve diameter, profile, and opening height are the same on both the 8RT and EAB Engines. Again, many Thanks
John

mfirth    -- 04-08-2020 @ 3:48 PM
  Not real sure, but i have an 8BA that had 8rt heads when i got it. It now has hi comp. Offy heads & no problem. Tom O or Cube could be more specific. Many guys have put EAB heads on engines with Merc crank & cam. You may check on The Ford Barn too.
mike

Big Red 51    -- 04-09-2020 @ 2:44 AM
  49F I have a stock 8BA which was rebuilt by Ford Dealer in 1978 and bored .60 over and installed in my (now) stock '53 Ford Victoria with OD and then placed in storage for 30 years. I bought after storage and replaced 8BA heads with EAB heads in 2006 and engine runs real strong. Engine does not have an EAB crank. You should not have any regrets. Good Luck, Don

TomO    -- 04-09-2020 @ 6:41 AM
  The EAB heads are for the 52 and 53 Ford. The EAC heads are for the 52 and 53 Mercury. The EAB heads with the 3 3/4 stroke crank provide a 7.2 compression ratio, the 4" crank will increase the ratio slightly. It is hard to say exactly what your compression ratio will be because it depends upon the cu.in. volume of the cylinder plus the volume of the firing chamber.

The valves should clear the head, but you should check the piston to head clearance with clay.

Tom

50CaPU    -- 04-10-2020 @ 3:05 AM
  Albeit with that combo you shouldn’t have any issues I’d recommend to check your valve clearance as a matter of good practice.
Easily done with clay or foil. Instruction found on the internet, videos etc.
If your cam is stock it may/should have .338 lift. A rebuilder could have re ground to any spec........I installed a higher lift cam (.375) in an 8RT with EAB heads shaved to obtain .050 squish in the area over the piston. I had plenty of valve to head clearance.
The 4” crank should put your combo around 8:1 CR .
There are calculators on line that you can plug your info into and come up with a close CR.
Nice combo, should pull well in an F series truck. Good candidate for a converted GM distributor.

Tim
Downtown, Ca

51504bat    -- 04-10-2020 @ 10:25 AM
  I'm running EAB heads on the 8ba in my '39 p/u. Heads were surfaced and the block decked when I had it rebuilt. Running what I believe to be a stock Merc cam but not positive. Engine runs strong with no valve issues.

49F-6Dump    -- 04-11-2020 @ 8:51 AM
  Many Thanks to All - Great Advice and I appreciate all of you taking the time. Best Regards to all - John (49 F-6 Dump)

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13734