Topic: Keeping a Flathead Cool

sarahcecelia    -- 03-23-2020 @ 8:39 AM
  The old timers used to race flatheads on dirt oval tracks. To keep them running cool they put stainless steel washers with a 3/4 " hole drilled in them at the water outlet on the heads.

They never overheated, and never over heated besause of a bad thermostat!!; Because the washers were the thermostats!

This is an old trick, that an old timer like me, saw in the 1950's when I was 16 years old, and remember it. And it works!!!

You can buy something like it from Robert Shewman,in the V8 times for about 50 + shipping, or buy the (2) washers for $2 and drill the hole in them!! Your choice.

Regards, Steve Lee

JayChicago    -- 03-23-2020 @ 1:37 PM
  So the 3/4” hole was sufficient under the stress of oval track racing? So much for the theory that our engines need “high-flow” thermostats.

cliftford    -- 03-23-2020 @ 4:41 PM
  Back in the day we were told that running without thermostats actually made a v8 run hotter because the coolant went through the system too fast to asorb heat from the engine.

TomO    -- 03-23-2020 @ 5:23 PM
  The washer was installed to restrict the water flow on the cars. Breaking off water pump impellers was another practice to reduce the water flow. The early radiators were not sealed, and at high rpms water would come out the overflow and cap, causing overheating.

Thermodynamic studies have been done and prove that the more water that flows through the radiator, the easier it is to get a thermal balance and control overheating.

Tom

sarahcecelia    -- 03-23-2020 @ 5:52 PM
  That's all a thermostat allows, but when it's fully open, there is some blockage by the flap.With the 3/4 inch hole in the washer,there is a freer flow.

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 03-23-2020 @ 5:53 PM
  That's rightTom; and some guys cut one blade off the impeller on the water pumps to make them run cooler; but the washer trick is a lot easier to do.

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 3-23-20 @ 5:58 PM

sarahcecelia    -- 03-23-2020 @ 5:55 PM
  That is just why the washers work Tom.

Regards, Steve Lee

trjford8    -- 03-24-2020 @ 7:50 AM
  All the new water pumps have better impellers that move more water. Everyone that has used them indicate that their car runs cooler. This discussion has been debated numerous times, but it all comes back to a clean cooling system and moving more water.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 3-24-20 @ 7:50 AM

kubes40    -- 03-24-2020 @ 8:10 AM
  Trjford,
I agree that many, but not "everyone" have had improved results with the higher than stock flow pumps.
Personally, I have never seen a difference. And yes, that's "clinically" checked with a laser probe.
I strongly believe I see no difference as I am not attempting to bandage over an existing issue.
All of my restorations include PROPERLY rebuilt engines, radiators, carbs, etc.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

1931 Flamingo    -- 03-24-2020 @ 9:10 AM
  48 block in a 40 coupe,NO t/stats, Kogel hi-comp heads with larger cooling capacity, engine and radiator clean, new pumps, when warm, gauge in the middle, with temp gun runs about 170, drops 30* from top of radiator to the bottom. Highway speeds maybe a little hotter.
Paul in CT

mfirth    -- 03-24-2020 @ 9:55 AM
  Well, i know a guy with a 38 who runs NO FAN & it never overheats. I have taken the 160 Stants out on my 52 Vic & replaced them with Stant 180s. Drilled a 1/16 hole in them and that engine runs @ 180 & 185 on hot days. It ran 190 + with the 160 stats.
mike

sarahcecelia    -- 03-26-2020 @ 11:30 AM
  The washers ARE THE THERMOSTATS!!!!

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 03-26-2020 @ 11:36 AM
  170 degrees is a little on the cool side;At 180 degrees the motor runs more efficiently. That's the temperature where every (4) cycle automotive engine is supposed to run.

Regards, Steve Lee

1931 Flamingo    -- 03-26-2020 @ 3:17 PM
  Newer cars run a LOT hotter than that.....................
Paul in CT

TomO    -- 03-26-2020 @ 7:34 PM
  The wshers are not thermostats. They were installed to slow the water flow in the cooling system. Using them has been proven garbage science many times.

Tom

kubes40    -- 03-27-2020 @ 11:51 AM
  Steve Lee,
All of our modern cars are designed to run right around 200°. One of them is designed to run at around 210°.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

a duece bruce    -- 04-02-2020 @ 12:02 AM
  I can tell you what I did more then 10 yrs ago when I built my flathead up. High flow pumps, expensive, 4 row walker radiator, it got hot on my hill. I wasted a lot of antifreeze and water wetter trying things. Tried stock thermostats in the hoses. It got hot. I added a puke tank. I tacked washers to two 5"pcs of pipe that I cut into the upper hoses. It got hot. so I bought 2 modern high flow, big block 185' thermostats at napa, trimmed them and tacked them to the pc of pipe. At first I put them on the bottom, close to the heads, It got hot. So remembering that stock thermostats go in the upper part of the hose, away from pump wash (21 stud, pump in the head) I tacked them to the top of the pipes. That was 10 years ago, it works perfect, warms up quick,(I put a heater in it to blow up grandma's skirt so she'll go with me, you need a thermostat for a heater to work)
Dosen't get over the 190' on a hot day. I have rarely added water to it. I better change it. The 50/50 antifreeze and redline water wetter must be shot. But it was the answer to my hot engine. That Napa thermostat # 191. Each one keeps a 427 or some big engine controlled, 2 of them works perfect for a flathead. That pc of pipe could be much shorter if you didn't like it. I think it would work on a later flathead also. Happy Motoring!

This message was edited by a duece bruce on 4-2-20 @ 6:41 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13688