Topic: 36 cowl vent drain??

dobbr    -- 02-11-2020 @ 7:11 PM
  I read in the early v8 35-36 ford book, that the cowl vent through has a drain hose.. has anyone such a drain hose , and did you put it in or was it plumbed from ford? I need to figure out one for mine. Maybe ice maker line?

Don Rogers    -- 02-12-2020 @ 6:25 AM
  If you look under the dash you will see a nipple on the underside of the vent trough. Connect a length of black rubber hose to the nipple and bring the other end of the hose out through the hole in the firewall between the choke and throttle holes.

dobbr    -- 02-12-2020 @ 6:57 AM
  I will look more intensely, I made a quick pass looking the other day.. I figure a guy cant dodge the rain forever

dobbr    -- 02-12-2020 @ 6:58 AM
  thanks

flatheadfan    -- 02-13-2020 @ 8:37 AM
  As Don stated, drain the window drains through the cowl vent drain line. I did this to my '35 more than ten years ago and everything works great. Easy to install and maintain. All you need is some plastic tubing and a 4-way plastic connection.

Tom

wmsteed    -- 02-13-2020 @ 9:07 AM
  I think that flatheadfan misread/quoted Don Rogers reply.. The question/reply was about the cowl vent drain, not the windshield.
The windshield drains are via two small hoses, one in each corner of the windshield, then into the left/right front quarter panel.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

flatheadfan    -- 02-13-2020 @ 4:20 PM
  Bill-
You are right about my misunderstanding of the problem. As for the windshield drains, avoiding the panel dump with the rerouting of the windshield drains are worth considering. Saves lower cowl rusting and lower panel rot.

Tom

wmsteed    -- 02-14-2020 @ 9:06 AM
  There is a very good possibility that the original location of the windshield drain hose' into the front quarter's was a problem, especially in very wet climates.
I agree with you about hooking the drain hoses together, tying them into the cowl vent drain hose.
I became aware of body drains, and the absence of same in many concealed locations at a very young age. I have generally went to great lengths to keep body drains open, free of dirt and debris.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13604