Topic: Headlight upgrade for a 1938 Standard

fwillard@att.net    -- 02-01-2020 @ 6:46 PM
  Does anyone have a suggestion for upgrading the headlight output for a 1938 Standard? I would like to change to LED or Halogen bulbs. What is required without changing the 6V to a 12V system? I'm sure someone has had experience with this. Thanks.

ford38v8    -- 02-01-2020 @ 11:38 PM
  As far as I know, those systems not only don't produce the desired results, but they also introduce problems you don't want to deal with. I and others here would be glad to walk you through what is needed to upgrade your existing system to give you light equal to the best sealed beam lights you've seen.

Alan

TomO    -- 02-02-2020 @ 9:13 AM
  The biggest problem with the LED and Halogen bulbs available to replace the headlight bulbs in your car is the bulbs are not designed to work with your lens and reflector.

The 6 volt bulb for your car is prefocused to give the best light in front of your car and not blind the oncoming traffic. The halogen bulbs require more current than the original bulb and should only be used with a relay. Then you have the problem of aiming the lights so that they don't blind the oncoming drivers. LED bulbs use less current than the halogens, more inline with the original bulbs, but the light is not focused correctly by the lens.

The first thing that you should do is make sure that you have at least 6 volts going to the bulbs when the engine is running around 1,000 RPM or 5.8 volts with the engine off. Some things that can provide resistance in the light circuit are: dimmer switch, light switch, bullet connectors and the bulb contacts.

Next clean the lens on the headlights and clean the reflectors ( I don't know the best way to clean the reflectors and would appreciate someone with a pre-1940 car would share their experience) and install fresh bulbs. Filament type bulbs will lose their light output over time.

Finally make sure that your headlights are aligned according too the owner's manual.

The lights will still not be as bright as on your modern car, but should light the way enough for you to drive at night.

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-02-2020 @ 10:31 AM
  HEADLIGHT
I installed halogen 6 volts with the correct backs,LIKE THE ORIGINAL easy to install,
they do draw a little more electric, but are brighter,
if you drive a night alot you may have to increase the charging rate,
the headlights on 1937 1938 1939 are not the greatest for light,
another way to get light is to install 6 volt fog lights,
also make sure your reflectors are REAL SHINY
there are several V8 FORD PARTS suppliers selling these,
I think C and G, is just one,
early FORD V8 PARTS NC
check your V8 TIMES,

fordv8j    -- 02-02-2020 @ 4:15 PM
  I installed 6v sealed beams behind the original lenses on my 38 dlx cp..ran a heavy wire from battery side of starter selanoid, to a toggle switch with a 30 amp fuse, then to dimmer switch, turn headlights on with original switch, then flip switch, full 6 volts to lights, pretty bright, can't tell the sealed beams are there by looking at them

40 Coupe    -- 02-03-2020 @ 6:43 AM
  There is a company in Great Britain that sells LED light bulbs to replace the 2330 incandescent bulbs that were used by Ford from 35-39. Just plug and play. Check on fordbarn.com for details.

fwillard@att.net    -- 02-05-2020 @ 6:58 AM
  Thanks, guys, for this information. I will let you know how things work out after I decide the action to take.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13572