Topic: Electrical /Distributor

stan white    -- 01-29-2020 @ 4:08 PM
  I have a mild 59AB Engine 1/4X5/16 Iam going to run a Harmon&Collins Dual Coil Distributor 12Volts, First off the Distributor is new never used. OTHER THAN CLEANING&SETTING POINT S GAP. Are the condensers still good or should the be replaced?Also can I buy 12volt coils that have built in resistors if so does anyone know where? These Distributors were built in the 50s, Thanks any info would help. Stan

mfirth    -- 01-30-2020 @ 4:58 AM
  Stan, you might post this on The Ford Barn too. Refer to your Earley V8 times magizine too. Skip Haney may be a good source.
Google "Bubba's Ignition" too. He does lots of 59 a dizzys. Hope this helps. mike

sarahcecelia    -- 01-30-2020 @ 7:04 AM
  I had one of the Harmon/ Collins distributors in my 1950 sedan in the mid 50's; it was 6 volt.

Are you sure it is a 12 volt? I thought they only had them way back then, and only 6 volt? It had dual points.

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 1-30-20 @ 7:05 AM

TomO    -- 01-30-2020 @ 7:45 AM
  The condensers may be OK now, but they are likely to fail due to age and construction methods used. Google 12 volt coil with internal resister and take your choice. Lubricate the distributor before using it.

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-31-2020 @ 6:41 AM
  HI
I would use the condenser that came with the distributor,it was made for heavy duty use,
as long it is working, like they say if it is working leave it alone,
trying to find a USA made part is getting hard to find, you might try BOSCH parts,

years ago
MALLORY ELECTRIC, used large brass condensers, for their racing ignition systems
and maybe look for a replacement condenser for JUST IN CASE.
you might have to go with high voltage heavy duty COIL , by one of the modern racing ignition co.and
and USE the heavy duty SPARK PLUG WIRES also,
my 2 cents 1937RAGTOPMAN

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13567