Topic: '37 steering box rebiuld

Smudger    -- 01-11-2020 @ 6:41 AM
  Hi, new to the forum, been a club member a couple of years and been rebuilding my '37 woody for many many tears. Its been on the road a few years but this winter decided to overhaul the steering as there is a bit much play even after all the adjustment. Tried a puller and heat to get the worm off to no avail so it looks like the angle grinder will be used. Have read that threading the tube is the way to fit the new worm on, I take it that's pulling it over a stud using a nut and washer, maybe warming it first. However one reference on the net says use a 5/8'' x 14 thread but the inside dia of my tube is 11.0mm (.433'') and the only tapping size near this is 1/2'' x 16 BSF. Have I miss understood something? And I also want to change the sector gear on the arm but can find nothing on how best to do this, any advice please.

juergen    -- 01-11-2020 @ 8:28 AM
  I will give you some "blacksmith" advice which I am sure some will call barbaric. First off, remember after all these years being squeezed together, the metals start to fuse. Like using an impact hammer, it sometimes takes a jolt to free up the pieces. The civil approach is to take it to a place with a big press and have them remove and install the new worm. I have removed the worm by loosely placing into big vice jaws and using a big f--- hammer and punch and wacking it down. But cutting it off is OK too.

I replaced the worm in the opposite fashion. I beveled the end of the shaft to make the start easier. I heated the worm at 250 degrees in our oven when the wife was shopping and knocked it onto the shaft with the shaft firmly held in the vice. Heating the worm expanded the ID but the shaft remained at room temperature. Lock the shaft into the vice at the desired depth of the worm.

As far as the sector is concerned, just take off the arm using a puller, add a new seal and replace it with a good NORS one as I am told some new replacements are not properly hardened.

Smudger    -- 01-15-2020 @ 12:44 AM
  hi, thanks for the advice, am proceeding with rebuilding the box and shaft but still would like to change the sector having bought a new one not a complete arm assy. the sector pin should be hard all through so drilling might not be an option and the assy. is tricky to hold square under the press.

40 Coupe    -- 01-15-2020 @ 4:31 AM
  I suggest you search on fordbarn.com there are several postings with pictures of removing the worm and replacing. Done on a press. I suggest you look this over before threading!!!

40 Coupe    -- 01-15-2020 @ 4:36 AM
  I understand changing the sector and there has to be a way to secure the center pin. I purchased a sector with the roller changed and the center shaft was tack welded to the body of the sector. This can be done without melting or overheating the bearing.

Smudger    -- 01-22-2020 @ 12:45 PM
  thanks for the advice. I looked at replacement sector and shaft assy's and at $100 plus shipping and the UK tax and further shipping it gets close to £150. But saw that new sectors come with a warning the pin has to be spot welded in... big clue there on how to get it apart, grind of the welded end of the pin and press it out. Which is what I have done, just got to arrange the spot welding of the replacement.

Fhower    -- 01-27-2020 @ 7:57 PM
  for what it is worth I just rebuilt my 41 steering gearbox. The worm was removed and replaced using a 20 ton press. The sector gear shaft is swagged on. I had is removed by a machine shop using an end mill. They installed the new shaft and gear and tack welded it on both ends.

JM    -- 01-28-2020 @ 4:59 AM
  After reading all the posts that have been made here, regarding your initial post, I totally agree with 40 Ford. I know there are several good "how to do this" type posts on Fordbarn.com. A quick search there would be my advice. The posts made by Neal in California are spot on, IMO. There is also a very good magazine article available on the internet that can be downloaded to your computer. I'm sure a link to that magazine article, or the article itself is posted their, and can be read and/or copied for downloading.

Notes of caution:
1. Be very careful NOT to bend the horn button/light switch rod during the process of removal....
2. Also....be very careful not to bend the steering column shaft when pressing the worm gear on/off.

John

This message was edited by JM on 1-28-20 @ 5:29 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13516