Topic: 1940 Ford Coupe

MDWalker    -- 12-18-2019 @ 9:07 PM
  New here, got a question, I'm looking for a 1940 Ford coupe, all the ones I find are not too close by, what's the proper way to have a car inspected?

Also, What should I be expecting to pay for a good car, I've seen them as high as 50k and as low as mid 20s. I would like a driver but most of these cars seen pretty nice that I am seeing

https://www.classicautomall.com/vehicles/799/1940-ford-super-deluxe-coupe

That one looks nice but it's up in PA and has a 51 engine in it, not sure how that should impact value?

I had a 48 Plymouth years ago and loved it, when it worked, but now I can't stop looking at the Ford's

Thx for any info.

CharlieStephens    -- 12-18-2019 @ 10:56 PM
  If you put your general location in your profile something might pop up.

Charlie Stephens

TomO    -- 12-19-2019 @ 7:41 AM
  To have the car inspected, look for an appraisal service in the area. Have the appraiser send you a sample report. The report should include appraiser's photo along with an explanation of what the photo is trying to show. It should also include a driver report, because you are looking for a driver car.

After the car has been inspected, and you think that you still want to buy it, fly in and inspect an drive the car yourself. That is the only way to decide to buy a car and have some guarantee that you will be satisfied with your purchase. A car is worth what a willing seller and a willing buyer can agree on. Check out the Old Cars price guide at your library for price guidance.

One thing that stood out in the engine compartment was the use of a rubber hose on the pressure side of the fuel pump. It could be a fire hazard. Rubber hoses can fail suddenly and leave you with a steady stream of fuel spraying all over you engine. If you buy the car, replace that line with a copper coated steel line. I would also install a proper flex line from the tank line to improve the priming of the carburetor.

Tom

trjford8    -- 12-19-2019 @ 8:01 AM
  In addition to Tom's advice, if you are new to the hobby take a knowledgeable friend with you when you look at a car. That person will see things that you will miss in your excitement to purchase one. If we had your location some of us may know of a V-8 Club member in your area who can help you with finding a car. Right now the market is a little sluggish and from a personal point of view I would avoid some of the dealers and auto brokers that you see on line. I'm seeing cars listed by dealers/brokers that are priced too high and have been listed for months and months. Take your time and do your homework. Also if you are not a member yet, join the Early Ford V-8 Club. It will help you a great deal and you may find what you want in the For Sale pages.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 12-19-2019 @ 8:12 AM
  hi 1940 FORD COUPE
did you try looking in HEMMING'S Motor News, ?
look ONLINE at the dealers, they are all over the country.
type in what your are looking for and you will see that is listed, with prices,
you can check them out, by viewer feedbacks,
they usually sell nice cars, the private sellers is the ones you have be care full with,
I bought a 57 CHEVY a few years ago and it was a body off restoration, original CA car,
just remember you get what you pay for,
pay more for a turn key car, depending what your capable of,
hope this helps my 2 cents, 37Ragtopman

Chris.NZ    -- 12-19-2019 @ 10:33 AM
  Do you prefer a 40 standard or a 40 deluxe ?

1931 Flamingo    -- 12-19-2019 @ 12:51 PM
  About a year ago I got the OK (bless my wife) to look for another car. Went online and punched in: 1940 Ford. About 35 popped up. One was 2 1/2 hours away. A 50's built DeLuxe Coupe w/jump seats, new brakes and lines, 48 block, 39 tranny, Kogel hi-comp heads,Almquist intake, dual chrome 97's, Red's headers, Smitty's, SS exhaust, r&p black naugahyde, carpet, new black paint, big and little wide whites. Right out of the "little books" of the 60's. Prices were all over the place. It's in my garage now, mid 20's. They are out there. Try the HAMB also, as well as the above mentioned places.
This one very close to what I had back in 1969, it had a 57 Olds, 39 tranny, etc, wife and I dated in it.
Good Luck with your search. Come back and let us know what you find.
Paul in CT

MDWalker    -- 12-20-2019 @ 9:03 AM
  I'm in Roswell, GA which is just outside of Atlanta.

Not sure which I prefer as far as standard or Deluxe, I think I would like either honestly. I'm not even totally clear on the differences. I've read the 40 standard is really just the 39 Deluxe? Is that true? I really like the Super Deluxe on the link above.

The 46-48 coupes seems to be alot more affordable and I see alot more of those, but most seem to be the coupes with the back seats in them which makes the body style a little different.

My wife has given me the OK as well, I think. It's hard to tell for sure some times. Guess I will know for sure when one shows up in the garage.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I will keep looking.

This message was edited by MDWalker on 12-20-19 @ 9:23 AM

jthompson1937    -- 12-20-2019 @ 10:14 AM
  Main differences between Standard and Deluxe is the grill (and I believe that the grill difference also results in slight hood differences), the headlight 'doors' are painted on Std. and chrome on Deluxe. Standard had one tail light (unless the state is was sole in required 2), and inside the dash is different.

Back in the late 70s, I had a Standard 'Opera' coupe (official name I believe was Business Coupe) that had 2 jump seats in the back. Regular coupes had a package shelf and storage under that in lieu of the jump seats.

Needless to say, the Std. Opera Coupe is my favorite, in Cloudmist Grey (which is actually green...).

1940 Tom    -- 12-20-2019 @ 6:21 PM
  Good Evening---

Welcome to the world of 40 Fords.

I'm sure that Mr. Ford is glaring down at you from on high right now. The proper designations for the 40 models are "Ford Deluxe" and "Ford V8". The boss detested the term "Standard" in describing his base models.

If you are unsure of the differences between the Deluxe and Ford V8 models - man, have you come to the right place! My extremely knowledgeable fellow Club members can answer any questions you have, or provide you with appropriate technical assistance, once you locate your Coupe. The responses you have received so far from our members, are only a sample of the talent and knowledge about these cars, that is available to you. Membership in the EFV8CA is a must, if you wish to learn about your car once you purchase it. Our V8 Times magazine is invaluable when you are looking for assistance on a question about the car.

Good luck with your search.

Tom

TomO    -- 12-21-2019 @ 9:34 AM
  I suggest that you contact the Georgia Regional Group and pay them a couple of visits to see the different cars and also ask for help in buying the car of your dreams. The guys in the Club are a very friendly group.

http://earlyfordv8clubga.org/

Tom

mrtexas    -- 12-21-2019 @ 1:47 PM
  I should note that the market for 30/40s cars is very soft. You should be
able to get something good for low $20s or lower.

MDWalker    -- 02-21-2020 @ 6:16 PM
  Well guys I've looked around alot and I think I've narrowed it down to 2 cars.

This 1940 car seems ok priced to me,I think, I got him to come down a bit, although not as much as I would have liked, the market for the 1940s coupes doesn't seem that soft...

My wife agreed and I have a deposit on the car, I'm flying up to Philly in a couple weeks to see it. Anybody know an expert near Morgantown PA who can check this out? This is the most money I've ever spent on an old car so I don't want this to go badly, not to mention my wife will kill me.

trjford8    -- 02-23-2020 @ 2:08 PM
  If you are going to look at the one in the link you provided I can tell you it does not have the correct '40 motor. It also has a non original hood emblem on the side of the hood. It also appears that the door bottoms have had some rust in them. It's noted this is a non stock Ford color, the wiring is not even close to stock and their is a plastic overflow tank mounted in the engine compartment. That could be a signal of an overheating problem.That's just for starters by looking at the photos. I would not buy that car unless you find someone who has good knowledge of '40 Fords. Call Dave Collette in the Early Ford V-8 Club roster who lives in Pennsylvania. He's a good guy and maybe can look at it for you or with you. If not he may know someone that can assist you. Being new to the hobby you want your buying experience to be a positive one. This car is being handled by a dealer and their job is to sell the car.. Seeing descriptions posted by dealers reveals just how much they DO NOT KNOW about the car they are selling. That car has been on e-Bay off and on for some time. Don't want to scare you but you are in control at this point as you have the money.
I've sent you a private message.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 2-23-20 @ 2:31 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13458