Topic: Ignition problem

bo8109b    -- 10-18-2019 @ 5:27 PM
  1940 starts instantly when cold but quits after a minute or two. Nice blue spark while running but very weak while cranking for a restart . Has to sit awhile before it will start , then it's the same thing over again. Changed the condenser and coil brush. Brown coil has three letters scratched in the bottom which suggests a date in 2007. Does that sound like what Skip does with his rebuilds? Do even his wear out in time? Any suggestions with this problem? Carl

MG    -- 10-18-2019 @ 11:03 PM
  The symptom certainly does point to the coil as the culprit. I've never experienced a 'Skip' coil going bad but that doesn't mean his coils are infallible....

4dFordSC    -- 10-19-2019 @ 4:25 AM
  As I recall, the instruction sheet that Skip sends with his coils states that they are warrantied for three (3) years.

TomO    -- 10-19-2019 @ 9:58 AM
  Check the input voltage to the coil when it will not start. The ignition resister may be the problem. You should have above 3 volts going to the coil when the points are closed. If you have less than 3 volts, replace the resister do not bypass it for more than 5 minutes of run time, you will damage the coil.

If you have more than 4 volts with the points closed, the resister may have been bypassed and the coil damaged.

Tom

bo8109b    -- 10-19-2019 @ 11:08 AM
  Found the problem and it's not the coil. Engine continues to run after startup with the back up electric fuel pump left on until thoroughly warmed up. The mechanical pump alone will carry it from there. Thanks guys for the responses and thanks Skip for a good coil Carl

sarahcecelia    -- 10-20-2019 @ 5:46 AM
  You should run the electric pump full time/ per Randy Rundle.

I failed to turn mine on, and went to a show about 5 miles away; on the way home the car acted like it was starving for fuel and quit several times. It quit running about 6 blocks from my house, and wouldn't start!!I finally realized the electric pump was off and blocking the fuel flow; turned it on, waited about a minute, car started right up, and made it home with no more problem!!

I phoned Randy and asked him about it. He said that the electric pump being "off" was causing fuel "blockage." I learned a valuable lesson!!!

Regards, Steve Lee

TomO    -- 10-20-2019 @ 8:17 AM
  Sounds like you both have weak fuel pumps or there is a vacuum leak on the input to the mechanical pump.

Tom

51woodie    -- 10-20-2019 @ 10:24 AM
  Depending on the electric pump you have, some will restrict flow if not turned on, while others will "flow through" if shut off. When I got my '46 (stock), the PO had installed a 6 volt Carter pump near the tank and a pressure regulator (looked ugly) on the firewall. I bought a Carter 2-4 psi pump from Mac's to get rid of the regulator, and found when I got it that is was not a flow through type. I didn't want to have the pump on all the time, so with some research, I bought a 6 volt Airtex E8902, available at Summit or Rock Auto for about $35.00, and it is a flow through with 4 psi. I know 4 psi is a bit on the high end for pressure, but I only turn it on for a minute or two to "prime" if the car has been sitting for a week or so.

This message was edited by 51woodie on 10-20-19 @ 10:26 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13324