Topic: 1932-39 transmission shifter lock

WarEagle    -- 10-16-2019 @ 10:48 AM
  I had this shifter lock on a trans for many years and decided to try and get it to work. Manufactured by Hubbard Devices INC. in Chicago, this shifter replaces the std ford lever and has a Hurd key lock above the shifter tower. I don`t have a key so have carefully removed pins that retain the lock to the shift lever. I now can insert a non correct hurd key and tun the lock. I attached the device to a tranny I have and figured out how this thing works. I would like to visit with anyone who might helf with removal of the lock to get it keyed correctly. Thanks

40 Coupe    -- 10-18-2019 @ 3:50 AM
  Decker also made shift lever locks for the early fords, these were all aftermarket items. If you have a non Hurd key that operates the cylinder it is a simple job to trace the key onto a Hurd key blank, make sure the Hurd blank fits into the cylinder and is the proper length before cutting it. Hurd stamped the key code on the side of nearly every Ford ignition cylinder they made. If the cylinder you have has the code, a new Hurd key blank can be clipped to fit the cylinder. It would be nice to see a photo of your lock and cylinder.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 10-18-19 @ 4:13 AM

WarEagle    -- 10-18-2019 @ 7:48 AM
  Thanks. I will get a picture. I made an error in the original post. I need to get the cylinder out of the shifter handle. Normally with the pin removed, the cylinder can be removed. I had it to the local key shop and they tried many old tricks they had learned in the 50 years the shop has been going. Your locking device is very similar along with the lower security portion. Could you describe the operation of yours please. Mine with the key turned, alows a collar to drop which locks the lever in neutral. This must be manually raised again with the key turned in order to regain the H pattern. I would have thought locked in a gear and the column locked with the wheels turned is the best plan. It appears the tranny must be in neutral to lock the device.

WarEagle    -- 10-19-2019 @ 5:01 AM
  #2 pic shows the ball that retracts when you turn the cylinder which then allows the collar to to move down. The collar must be lifted manually when the key is turned. The pin holding the cylinder is out and allows the cylinder to turn and retract the ball. If I could get the cylinder out then it could be keyed. There must be a shaft attached to the cylinder that slides by the back of the ball to lift it. Notice #2 and the tower nut. There is a pin there as well that stops someone from turning it. The "protective can" below the nut is also a deterrent to thieves. Amazing engineering!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13317