Topic: Help with 1936 Ford Club Cabriolet Convertible top

bcmathews21    -- 10-16-2019 @ 6:26 AM
  I would like to ask for some help with 1936 Ford Club Cabriolet Convertible top that I obtained this car from my wife's grandfather. I have the car running and driving again (thanks to advise from this forum!) but I cannot get the top to latch correctly over the windshield. I am able to get the pin on the passenger side into the slot but even if I stretch the top with my hands I am 3/4 of an inch from getting the driver's side pin into the slot. Does anyone have some advise? ...or encouragement

I did leave the top down for about a month while I was working on the car so I am not sure if it can 'draw up'.

Thank you very much,

Brian

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 10-16-2019 @ 12:40 PM
  HI
did you try wetting the top with water.,? might help,
how old is the top ?
I assume it fit before,
make sure the bows are not stiff and not allowing the top to move forward,
let hear how you made out,
my 2 cents 37Ragtopman

kubes40    -- 10-17-2019 @ 6:17 AM
  Brian,
As you now realize, leaving the top down for any long periods is a big "no-no". Modern materials are more forgiving than many older materials.
I might suggest you leave the top in the "near up" position out in the hot sun. Draw it closer to the pins as you might be able. Do NOT attempt to engage the pins if you must pull the top a lot. You will move the cowl section back and risk doing damage to paint, alignment, etc.
You must be patient as this "process" may take some time to accomplish your goal.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

bcmathews21    -- 10-18-2019 @ 6:04 AM
  Thanks for the advise! I will try to Sun this afternoon and maybe a bit of water. The top is at least pre 1970 but I am not sure how much older than that.

kubes40    -- 10-18-2019 @ 6:20 AM
  If the top is that old, you'll need to be prudent and take the "stretching" process slowly.
That old material as one heck of a memory and as such, once it has shrunk, it wants to stay that way.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

bcmathews21    -- 10-28-2019 @ 4:02 PM
  I wanted to follow up and let everyone know I got the top closed. Turns out the canvas was ok, it was the metal hinge just behind the driver's door. I has to push it in from the outside to get thr hinge to fall one half inch closer to the front of the car and that made all the difference.

I appreciate all the suggestions!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13315