Topic: 47 Ford Steering Gear Box

jamesmundstock    -- 09-16-2019 @ 3:30 AM
  I am going to disassembling my box and would like to know how you can tell the sector and worm gear are bad. I expect to see normal contact shine but is there any dimensions to check. This came out of a running car. There was play but I attributed that to bad tie rod ends and a worn kingpin. Also how do you get the inner shaft out of the column and how do you get the outer column tube off of the gear box. Thanks in advance for any responses.

trjford8    -- 09-16-2019 @ 6:39 AM
  Is the steering box currently in the car or out of the car? If it's already out then you pull the steering wheel, Loosen the clamp at the bottom of the outer column and make sure the column is in the unlocked position. Once this is done the column should slide off the shaft.

supereal    -- 09-16-2019 @ 2:07 PM
  Assembly and adjustment of the steering gear is complicated. If you don't have instructions, get them before you start. Extreme wear of the moving parts is commonly due to lack of proper lubrication. The steering gear in old Fords sits close to the left side exhaust manifold, and the heat can bake the oil. Any visible wear or damage of the parts is cause for replacement.. Properly lubricated and adjusted steering gears can outlast the rest of the vehicle. Of particular importance when working on it is to properly locate the "sweet spot" in the worm gear. This in the exact middle of the travel, as described in the instructions.

jamesmundstock    -- 09-16-2019 @ 6:26 PM
  I got the column off of the shaft. I do have the shop manual. Another question I have is the worm gear on the inner steering column shaft. Is it pressed on? I thought I better ask before I attack it. The lock collar at the upper end of inner column has a set screw, I took it out but it is on tight. It seems I should take it off and pull the inner column down through the steering gear box. The inside has an extremely thick lube. It almost looks like wheel bearing grease. Am I correct on that? Thanks for all the help.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13230