Topic: Additive to fuel for 46 Ford 239

Parkopup1218    -- 08-23-2019 @ 9:32 AM
  Hello members

Curious on what the group has to say about adding lead additive to gas for our 1946 Ford 59 a-b (239) flathead. The motor is all stock and runs well. The additive thing got me thinking after I just had the gas tank cleaned along with the lines and carb. The cleaning was not a result of gas but just old age and not being driven.

Thanks !

51woodie    -- 08-23-2019 @ 11:39 AM
  I’m sure you will get a number of opinions on this question. I have a stock 239 ‘46 Coupe, and I add nothing to the fuel, except in the fall when I put the car away for the winter. I add Sta-Bil fuel conditioner. I add this product to all my small engines as well when I store them for off season, and so far they always start and run well when I put them back in use at the end of storage.

supereal    -- 08-23-2019 @ 2:45 PM
  Most "additives" do little other than drain your wallet. Lead was removed from gasoline long ago. It was used to prevent preignition, often called "spark knock". Today's fuels are considerably different, and spark knock is rare, if ever a problem. On the other front, the main problem with gas and old vehicles is the addition to ethanol. It is present in virtually all gasoline, even from pumps marked "no ethanol" because most pumps today handle different grades of fuel. and if the last customer chose E-10 or E-15, any left in the system will end up in your tank. Unless your vehicle has been "fuel proofed", eventually critical fuel system components, such as fuel pumps, and any other rubber parts can be damaged. Unfortunately, there are no additives to counteract this
effect. Finally, ethanol laced gasoline can "phase separate" over time, and any water in suspension will pool in the gas tank of lightly used vehicles. Lead was also supposed to "lubricate"valves. This has largely proved to be overstated.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13162