Topic: fuel pump not taking prime.

kirkstad    -- 08-16-2019 @ 1:31 PM
  Using car all summer (36) with no problems and a steady 2 plus lbs. pressure. I wanted to take car out after about sitting two weeks but could't get pump to prime,usually it will start after about 25 seconds of cranking. I checked all fuel connections and then disconnected line from carb. to pull a vacuum,and still no fuel flow.I installed a spare pump,a later glass bowl type and car runs fine. I replaced the diaphragm because of the new fuel issues a while back and it looks OK. Is there a way I can check the valves? everything else checks out fine. Are the valves prone to fail do to the new fuels also?
Thanks. Frank

MG    -- 08-16-2019 @ 1:36 PM
  You don't mention if you choked the carburetor....with your hand....

ken ct.    -- 08-16-2019 @ 2:36 PM
  If the valves are rubber coated as a lot of them are. I have original good ones if you need. ken ct 1-203-260-9780

kirkstad    -- 08-16-2019 @ 6:12 PM
  Thank's MG yes I did.
Thanks also Ken,maybe I'll give you a call,regarding the valves. I got the diagram from you and it's fine,I know it's not the problem,I transferred it to the spare glass bowl pump for now because it still had old type diaphragm.
Frank

supereal    -- 09-01-2019 @ 10:31 AM
  That is often caused by a leaky glass bowl gasket. If the bowl is removed for cleaning, always replace the cork gasket. They dry out over time, and take a "set" where the rim of the bowl presses. Any leak will prevent vacuum to pull fuel from the tank.

kirkstad    -- 09-01-2019 @ 11:35 AM
  Thank you supereal. That is what happened. When I benched tested my all metal pump, I discovered that the cork gasket for the metal cap had shrunk,even though the cap bolt seemed tight. What confused me was, I had used the car many times with no problems and had never touched the pump. I have my spare pump on the car now,a glass bowl type, so I will keep your suggestion in mind.
Thank You. Frank

supereal    -- 09-02-2019 @ 2:24 PM
  You are welcome, Frank. Too often the simplest fixes are often overlooked, particularly by non professionals. A couple of weeks go, a customer brought in a very nice low mileage VW Passat. It had some obvious problems, and the dealer told him that it would require replacement of the engine at a projected cost of $8000. We said we would buy the car if he believed he didn't want to spend that kind of money, so we did. The problem stemmed from a failing oil pump. To replace the pump the engine had to come out, thanks to German engineering. While we had it out, we didn't find any other evident damage. The car was sold for a handsome profit. Today, it is wise to establish contact with a good independent shop before you need it. In our area, many dealer are not interested in repairs, only new vehicle sales.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13146