Topic: Has To Be A Scammer

51woodie    -- 08-12-2019 @ 6:53 AM
  I posted a want at for a NOS or used fuel gauge sending unit for my '46, and got an email from a fellow that says his name is Eric Dickson, who said he had one and needed my address etc. to determine shipping costs. I sent back that I wanted his contact info, a picture of the sender and asking price. What I got back from him was:

"Just attached the picture of my car below , I`m breaking the complete for parts , since you need some parts there is no problem , I want you to send me the complete list of parts that you need , so that I`II will give you prices for them ."

I may be old but I'm not a fool. Why would anyone in their right mind strip a car that looks like this, to sell off for parts?

srg    -- 08-12-2019 @ 7:33 AM
  I've restored old motorcycles for 20 years and I have heard a couple of stories of guys taking a complete old bike apart and parting it out. The parts are becoming valuable at this stage of the restoration game for some of the older models, and it is a money maker. It goes against my grain to do stuff like that, but money is many people's top priority. The picture is a very nice looking Ford (on the exterior). I would get his address and tell him I would like to look at the whole car to possibly buy it intact. Tell him you would like to see a bunch of pictures.

cliftford    -- 08-12-2019 @ 8:01 AM
  Red flag! a typical scam ad, poor English.

jretter    -- 08-25-2019 @ 4:48 PM
  Correct. I saw almost this exact wording in a response to a "Wanted" ad I posted a few years ago. I have stopped looking for parts on the EFV8 site, because all I seem to get are responses from scammers. The problem seems to be that anyone can get to the classified section. They do not have to be a member. I do not have this problem on FordBarn or H.A.M.B., so I use them when I post a "wanted" notice.

efv8CofAAdmin    -- 08-27-2019 @ 4:36 AM
  I have checked with other users of sites such as FordBarn........they say there is no difference. Scammers and fake responders are everywhere.
Best defense -- be logical, be knowledgeable, and be aware.

Web Administrator

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13135