Topic: Choke and Throttle

Garrison202    -- 07-12-2019 @ 12:28 PM
  How do you use the choke and throttle in your startup routine? When are they employed? Is it even during startup... or are they used while out on the road?

Also, during startup, what would you make of a hissing sound coming from the steering column? I’ve only heard it once, but is there any reason for concern?

supereal    -- 07-12-2019 @ 1:01 PM
  I only use the choke in cold weather. The throttle is used to increase idle speed to assist warmup. My startup procedure is to run the electric pump to refill the carb, give the accelerator a couple of pumps, and hit the starter button. It should be noted that almost every old Ford starts differently, and once you find the best way, stick to it. Don't know about the hissing sound. If you live in Florida, maybe a boa under the hood!!

This message was edited by supereal on 7-12-19 @ 1:04 PM

TomO    -- 07-13-2019 @ 9:00 AM
  My friend Supereal is correct, but here is some information that may help clarify his answer.

The choke is used to give a richer mixture during starting. Some carburetors need it and others flood if you use it. You have to experiment with how much choke is needed to start your car and when to push the knob in to open it.

The throttle is used to increase the engine speed. It is usually used when the engine is cold and the choke is not needed.

For the hissing sound, I would check the grounding connections and the battery cables. Any corrosion could lead to the hissing sound.

Tom

GK1918    -- 07-26-2019 @ 4:49 AM
  Hissing; sounds like vacuous hose to the wiper motor I replaced mine
no more hissing..................

Mr Rogers    -- 07-30-2019 @ 8:07 PM
  On my 36 flathead the choke does just that ... sucks gas up to the carb initially. My throttle. if I pull it all the way out, will close the butterfly and actuate some pedal.
I personally full choke and tap the pedal twice. Fires right up and then I slowly push in the choke.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13058