Topic: draining coolant

kirkstad    -- 06-27-2019 @ 8:38 AM
  My stock 36 engine does not have petcocks on the block,only plugs,which I am told are almost impossible to remove without removing the engine.I like to run distilled water with CRC Radiator anti-rust and water pump lubricant in the summer.Is there any way to remove the remaining antifreeze,about 8 quarts of a 22 quart system.I thought about using my shop vac.Thank you in advance for any help.
Frank

TomO    -- 06-27-2019 @ 9:05 AM
  Jacking up the rear end of your vehicle will allow more of the coolant to exit the petcock.

Typically around 1 quart of coolant will be left in the cooling system when you drain it with the petcock and that will not make any difference in the cooling capacity. The heat transfer difference between distilled water and a 50/50 solution is approximately 20%. At 180 degrees with a 50/50 solution a water solution would be 160 degrees. The 1 quart left would change the result by less than 1%, which is more than compensated by the surficants in the anti freeze.

Tom

supereal    -- 06-27-2019 @ 1:55 PM
  I agree with my friend Tom. It is nearly impossible to drain the "skirt" of the block just above the oil pan. That area is thin, and we often see unrepairable cracks in that part of the block. If you run just water in an area where the winter is below freezing, it is far better to use antifreeze, and circulate it so all the water jacket is protected.

kirkstad    -- 06-28-2019 @ 8:45 AM
  Thank you TomO. If you don't mind me asking,in your professional opinion should I just leave the antifreeze in?I was switching to water in the summer because I attend a lot of parades and the temp. would creep up to 200 plus, but still stay below 212.With water, it would stay at or below 190 degrees.
Thank you
frank

kirkstad    -- 06-28-2019 @ 8:47 AM
  Thank you supereal,I appreciate your input.

TomO    -- 06-28-2019 @ 9:13 AM
  Frank,
IMHO 190 degrees is much better than 200 degrees and the work to change from antifreeze to water doesn't bother me, so I would change.

I am not a professional mechanic or automotive engineer, so I do not have a professional opinion.

Tom

kirkstad    -- 06-28-2019 @ 11:03 AM
  Thank you again Tom.
Frank

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13014